Thread: Orange fly line?

Default Orange fly line?

I'm setting up my buddy who is new to fly fishing with a trout rod from a blank with reel, line, etc for fishing in the Sierra creeks and rivers this upcoming season, sometimes stillwater... basically a general line. He had a hard time following the olive colored floating line on the 2 trips we took last year on the Merced just outside Yosemite. Both at 56 years old, i understand the failing eyesight thing.

I've been looking for a bright orange floating line in WF5F but don't see many options. It seems manufacturers are still hot for the olive color. I'd like to keep the line around $60 or under, and not a bargain basement low quality option. Cortland still offers their classic peach, and something called Modern Trout in the Classic 444 series in orange, both around $65 which is fine. Rio Gold comes in orange but at $99. Rio offers their Mainstream Trout in what seems to be a light green too. What else out there can be recommended for moving water, fishing dries and nymphs in moving water for those with failing eyesight? Maybe a mint green or chartreuse color could work too. Thanks!

eric
    fresno, ca.
    Last edited by epzamora; 03-05-2023 at 02:45 PM.

I don't know if they still make it but I have an old SA Mastery line in bright orange. Mine is a 7 wt WF and I don't remember when I bought it. Maybe troll the bargain bins?

Moonlit makes a performance taper in orange, which I use, or green. It is under $40.

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" - unknown author

Check Ebay I have bought a number of older unused fly lines of that site. Generally very good prices also.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the leads.

-eric

Over the years the advice from "the knowledgeable ones" in this great sport was to put the most money towards your fly line.

Next into the fly rod and lastly in the fly reel (unless going for saltwater).

We have no idea what the action is on the "custom fly rod" in question.

If the action is "fast/strong/stiff/powerful" we have lines designed with more weight than the standard sizes, like a "half size heavy".

The color of the fly line for newcomers should be a lighter one, like light green rather than a darker, hard-to-see color.

I don't think orange or yellow is a good idea other than for learning to fly cast, hopefully on open water.

My advice is to find a good fly shop and take the rod and reel in there.

If you can find someone who is extremely knowledgeable, like Andy Guibord at Kiene's, they can test the rod with fly lines.

Then they can professionally install the right amount of backing with cutting-edge knots/connections.

By volume Rio and Scientific Angler sell the most single-hand fly lines.

Over the past 50 years of selling and installing fly lines I saw thousands of mismatched outfits.

Today we have many brand-name starter or beginner fly fishing outfits that are a rod, reel, backing and fly line with a rod & reel case.

They run from around $150 to $300 and are designed by industry professionals.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........