Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Need A Miracle Everyday

Default I Need A Miracle Everyday

In the winter steelhead fishing game it seems like every day I go out there I need a miracle to happen. I certainly don't get that miracle every day but I am unable to give up so I keep trying. Last year I got no winter steelhead and the year before I got one so it feels like a miracle when I get one. Especially so if it comes on the swung fly or is a big special fish. This past week I got a fresh chromer on the swing and a big one on an indicator. The big one seems like something that does not even exist anymore and came to visit me from the '50's. He fought hard not to be pulled into the present time and wisely swam back to the '50's as soon as I let go of his tail. Anyhow, I got a couple of pictures to share and the season is not a skunk. Hopefully if you are wanting to catch a winter steelhead you are able to find one and appreciate it. They are special fish.

Last edited by John H; 03-04-2023 at 10:08 PM.

Great fish John! Thanks for sharing.

Today, to catch a Winter Steelhead on a fly is a real big deal.

Amazing pictures of a very rare fish.......

Thanks again John.

Wild Winter Steelhead are a rare thing today and those who venture out after them with a fly rod are a special kind of angler.

In the 1970s when I was in my 20s/30s I was able to go to our California North coast with some of these special anglers.

These great fisheries were in decline, even then, and the big drought of the late 1970s did these great fisheries in.

After World War II my good friends of the Great Generation had wonderful times in the 1950s and 1960s with these great fish.

I was able to catch some of these special wild fish on a fly thanks to old friends who were nice enough to take me along.

Today, some younger, aggressive fly fishers are still chasing these mythical fish with two-hand fly rods on these once iconic rivers.

Top Spey guide, Jason Hartwick, is one of these younger serious fly fishers dedicating his life to finding these special fish.

http://www.steelheadonthespey.com/

Jason usually guides the summers in Alaska, then Fall and Winter for Steelhead.

Winter Steelheading, on average, is December through March.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Say hey John,
    The hen looks immaculate. Sublime colors on her.
    That speckled pattern all over the buck is amazing.
    Both fish look like they're in prime condition.
    Well done!
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Spectacular fish, John! The pictures really do them justice. Good on ya!

Vaughn

Beautiful fish John!
    The adipose on that buck certainly makes it a VERY special fish.
    .....lee s.

Wow! Those are the reason why we all go, just for a chance at one of those. Everything had to be just a little sweeter after those encounters!!! Congratulations!!!

Beautiful fish and photos. Congrats!

John,

Both fish are stunning- I am more than little jealous to be sure, as well as happy for you.

May I ask for some detail on the swung fly there? Looks like an intruder style tye with pink sili-legs

Thanks, Larry

That is an intruder I got at the shop. I don’t know my swinging flies well but I do know that one. It has a trailing hook which I have had break off a couple of times including once with a fish on. I have a box with a bunch of flies I bought and a few I made myself. I usually pull out the biggest brightest one which is the intruder.

The key to that swing fish was we had a bunch of snow and nobody wanted to drive so I was able to get on a spot that had not been floated over, waded or pounded on. I am a real believer that undisturbed fish give you a good chance for a bite. Most other days I would have been the fifth guy to fish that run and that fish would have likely been spooked or caught and long gone by the time I got there.