Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Boat Recommendations for Lower A, Yuba and Lower Sac?

Thanks for all the feedback.

Bill, can you spot me $100K?

Any thoughts on polymer boats like those made by Boulder Boat Works: https://www.boulderboatworks.com/ ?
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

An old friend of mine who guides with a BBW drift boat says if you row one, you will buy one.

The Ferrari of drift boats........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

and probably with Ferrari prices...

I just submitted a price request and will post their response here.

The cheapest used one here is $15,000, and it's only 15' 11":

https://www.boulderboatworks.com/pre-owned-drift-boats/
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Gotta pay to play...

"I'd anticipate a minimum of 2-3 uses per year."

Now that would be a concern to me. Not so much if you are going to a lake or the Delta but a river is a different story. Not knowing your experience with running rivers or your rowing experience going on to a river once or twice a year you do not know the best lines to take, where the rocks or sweepers are etc...

In which case maybe get a small outboard boat for the Delta, then wade or get a guide for the one or two times a year you want to run a river. Even the Trinity or Klamath or Lower Sac which is pretty tame in most places has obstacles that can present a dangerous situation if you do not have the necessary experience.

I personally have 3 different pontoon boats, three kayaks, a canoe, a 10' pram, a Boston Whaler and a rowing shell. Yet I still hire a guide to fish some rivers I do not know well, if you find the right guide it can be lots of fun and very educational. I went on 5 guided trips last year and have been on two this year with 4 more scheduled through September. But the guides I go with I have already established a repore with and look forward to each trip I go on with them. Worth looking in to. As the cost of a boat is not just the purchase price there is also maintenance, repairs, theft prevention, upgrades, regular cleanings, and trailering to contend with.
    Last edited by tcorfey; 03-08-2023 at 11:57 PM.

Most people are better off saving their money and going with the best top guides at prime time.

3 of my best customers bought an outboard skiff so they could go to the Delta and lakes.

They had always gone on group trips through our shop and hired guides locally.

They discovered that none of them wanted to keep the boat at their home and spend hours cleaning it after every trip.

They realized none of them wanted to run the boat so the others could fish.

Finally, they sold it and were much happier.

I don't need a boat because in Florida and in California I have lots of friends and guides with boats.

That said, I just had a custom-built 15' super skiff put together for me.

When we take my super shallow water boat out I have to get it all ready.

I have to pull it 2 miles to the free ramp at the Sebastian river

Then I like to run the boat, kind of like a guide (ha, ha), so my friends can fish off the front deck.

Then after I get home I have to clean the boat, and run the motor to get the saltwater out of it.

I have to charge the batteries and clean all my tackle too.

When you go out with top guides you will find they are usually enjoyable people to be with.

All you need are good Polarized glasses, a good fishing hat and a credit card ( or cash).

Most anglers are better off using the tackle that the guides supply because it is usually better fitted for the day's fishing than yours.

When you go with a guide it is best to let him make the decisions or why hire him?

Here in Sebastian, Florida, $100,000 24' skiffs are in many driveways along with smaller skiffs and kayaks too.

We have the most famous natural river on the East Coast of Florida, the Sebastian river, where I fish 90% of the time.

We have one of only 5 openings to the ocean in 156 miles of Intracoastal lagoon, the Indian River Lagoon system.

The Florida fisheries department did a big in-depth study of the Snook at the famous Sebastian Inlet.

365 days a year they believe there are at least 65,000 Snook within a mile radius of the inlet.

Under water video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFQ3yquqz2M

Sebastian, Florida is one of the best places in America to live if you like to fish.......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Tcorfey, I'm only planning to run the Lower American, Lower Yuba and Lower Sac with it. Those rivers are pretty safe at normal flows, and the drive isn't rough.

Bill/Tcorfey, given that I'm only planning freshwater use (skip the Delta), what kind of cleaning and maintenance is really needed?

I know the two happiest days of boat ownership are the day you buy and the day you sell it. I know most people use them far less than they plan to. This is why I'm trying to be realistic. How many married guys with kids (who are not guides) actually use their own boat more than that?

I've always wanted a cabin, and my wife (a financial advisor) has vetoed it because "it's cheaper to rent." The same could be said for a boat, and she may veto this idea as well. But it's a fraction of the price. And assuming I don't destroy it, it should have a good liquidation value when I sell it.

I live just outside of Sac, 12 minutes from Nimbus, so with my second (and final) child going to college in 1.5 years, I'll have plenty of opportunities to use it. And in Sac, one person just needs to Uber back up to the launch site to pick up the vehicle. Even if I'm fishing by myself, I can just anchor or beach the boat to fish. In this case obviously Uber doesn't work, so I'd need my wife's help.

Thanks.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Maintenance on a boat and trailer used in freshwater is less than one used in saltwater but you still need to wash it inside and out (before and after each use even if that is just to get the spiders out), assuming you keep it covered when not in use and if fiberglass or painted you need to wax it at least once or more per year to make it easier to wash and prevent oxidation from UV light of the sun. Engine maintenance change the oil yearly both Crankcase and gear case, change spark plugs occasionally replace the impeller (this feeds cold water to the engine) every other year (depending on usage), Because you use it occasionally you will need to treat your fuel tank with Stabil or something similar, change fuel lines every couple of years due to uv degradation, change fuel filter when you replace your impeller, Keep your battery charged for starting the engine and replace the battery every two to three years. Check your anchor and docking lines replace as needed. Keep your safety items up to date (flare replacements etc...), check your running lights and replace bulbs as needed, trailer needs bearing maintenance, light maintenance and winch maintenance yearly, tires need replaced every three to four years (tread will still be fine but sidewalls will crack and dry out) helpful if you jack the boat up on jack stands to avoid tire flat spots if using it only a couple times per year. Unforeseen expenses/repairs due to age, dock rash or rock encounters. DMV fees and taxes paid. That should about cover it. Depending on the boat you may also have to periodically replace control, steering and throttle cables a tiller model can avoid that expense. To keep my costs lower I have hydraulic steering, a spin on fuel filter on my Boston Whaler and oil bath hubs on my trailer. With a boat that has limited use rubber items will still dry out and fail especially things like the engine impeller.

<<<Tcorfey, I'm only planning to run the Lower American, Lower Yuba and Lower Sac with it. Those rivers are pretty safe at normal flows, and the drive isn't rough.>>
    I live near and fish the LSAC on a very frequent basis, and I've rescued two persons out of the river who both were on the verge of drowning over the past year. Pretty common to do that because people who have never rowed a drift boat in fast moving water (like the LSAC) think they know how to row because they've been doing it on lakes for years. Not trying to scare you, but moving water is a completely different beast.

Well, post some pictures when you get it. That is if your wife let's you.