Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is the right boat for me?

Default what is the right boat for me?

As some of you know I've been hemming and hawing about buying a boat for 5+ summers and still haven't done it. Reason being, I simply cannot settle on what the best option is for me, to the point that I canceled an NRS order earlier this spring to give myself yet another summer to ruminate on it.

This year, I am getting more serious about it and want to either find a boat or put a deposit on a build for next winter. We are not getting younger and if I don't do it soon, it won't get done.

Our intention would be to use the boat primarily on lower gradient rivers in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming where we do 90% of our fishing these days. Main stem Snake in Jackson Hole, South Fork in Irwin/Heise reach, Teton in the valley, lower Henry's Fork (below Warm River), maybe the Box Canyon occasionally, Madison above Ennis, the Salt above Palisades in the Star Valley, and the like. Maybe an occasional float on the Trinity or lower Yuba in the fall or winter. I might haul it up to the Eel if I ever get back into winter steelhead fishing (doubtful). No serious whitewater, as I pay trained guides to take me on that. 99% of these would be day trips, we might do a South Fork one night camping trip once every year or two.

Originally I was thinking about getting a raft, as it would be more forgiving for bumping into stuff as both my wife and I become better rowers, but now I am considering buying a hardsided boat, considering the nature of the waters we gravitate toward and their wind exposure -- perhaps a Hyde Low Pro or Adipose Flow. I also like the Stealthcraft MiniFly. And I have a friend back east who builds boats that might cut me a deal.

90% of the time we would be fishing with two people in the boat, but I want 3 seats for the occasional visitor and/or a future kid. I want to buy something that will last us a long time, and have great resale value. I take care of my stuff and don't churn gear.

My budget is about $10k all in, could stretch to $12k for the right boat. Probably looking to find a lightly used 2-5 year old model or if the economy tanks, maybe a 2023 model that is gathering dust on the lot next spring. I found a used 2022 XL Hyde LowPro that is beautiful, but 17'+ is a lot of boat, I prefer something smaller and more stealthy.

Thoughts welcomed. FWIW I don't want to discuss my rowing abilities, rather what is the right boat given what we will be doing. Assume we are acceptable rowers now for the rivers we would tackle, and will get better with practice, lessons (which is part of our planned budget beyond the boat budget) and experience.
    Last edited by PV_Premier; 06-20-2023 at 08:48 PM.

For what you describe, the appropriate vehicle is a fiberglass low profile boat. As you know, that's what most folks on those rivers use and for good reason. I've owned drift boats and rafts and been rowing for over 40 years. I'm happy to chat with you but I'll be away fishing your area for the next few weeks. PM me if you'd like.

PV...I know this is not what your final boat may be, but I am putting an older Alumaweld 16' drift boat up for sale in Driggs. It might fit you for a couple of years while you decide on a final boat. I have used it on most of the rivers you mentioned. I haven't used it much in the last few years.....shoulders getting old...if that's a thought, give me a call (916.606.2446) or email me at dbeach125@gmail.com...It'll be at a very reasonable price....Dave

Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat22 View Post
    For what you describe, the appropriate vehicle is a fiberglass low profile boat. As you know, that's what most folks on those rivers use and for good reason. I've owned drift boats and rafts and been rowing for over 40 years. I'm happy to chat with you but I'll be away fishing your area for the next few weeks. PM me if you'd like.
    I’ll be out in Driggs over the 4th weekend if you’re still out that way. Would love to pick your brain over a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by David Beach View Post
    PV...I know this is not what your final boat may be, but I am putting an older Alumaweld 16' drift boat up for sale in Driggs. It might fit you for a couple of years while you decide on a final boat. I have used it on most of the rivers you mentioned. I haven't used it much in the last few years.....shoulders getting old...if that's a thought, give me a call (916.606.2446) or email me at dbeach125@gmail.com...It'll be at a very reasonable price....Dave
    Thanks for the offer. One thing I’ve decided for sure is that a metal boat isn’t right for my needs. I’ll let the neighbors and friends know in the valley and see if I can scare up any solid leads for you.
    Last edited by PV_Premier; 06-21-2023 at 08:41 PM.

Thanks...good luck in your search. We're here into October...

PM'd you about meeting around the 4th in ID.

PV- Craigslist Eastern Idaho has 2 used fiberglass Hyde boats listed around 10:30am on 6/23. Way under your budget.

Good luck

Jim

Just get a 13-14’ raft. There’s no where you can’t go in a raft, they are quiet, comfortable and portable. Got an otter 140 off an order cancellation from nrs and LOVE it.

Quote Originally Posted by JayDubP View Post
    PV- Craigslist Eastern Idaho has 2 used fiberglass Hyde boats listed around 10:30am on 6/23. Way under your budget.

Good luck

Jim
    Thanks, I’m monitoring that.

Quote Originally Posted by TaylerW View Post
    Just get a 13-14’ raft. There’s no where you can’t go in a raft, they are quiet, comfortable and portable. Got an otter 140 off an order cancellation from nrs and LOVE it.
    Still haven’t discounted that idea but measuring twice and cutting once