Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2023 American River Shad Reports

Did some upper river scouting with Capt. Andy in his jet Lowe today. There’s a lot of good fishable water at almost 13K cfs. The biggest problem is being able to anchor your boat. There are very few places that you can wade fish. We didn’t get any shad or see any. The only action was when a 5 lb striper smacked Andy’s U Name It and followed it to the boat. Be safe out there because the river is really booking!

Yah the winter in Estes is a long and windy one, but it is a great place to be in the summer. The sierras are just as nice though.

So we are seeing shad in the AR down low it sounds like?

I saw a few caught by Bigg A earlier this week but I haven’t been back down there since it does get packed with bobber anglers. I’ve been trying up higher for nada but I’m seeing more gear anglers targeting shad every day. I guess every is chomping at the bit.

Was out at last light a couple of days ago. No sign of shad in the upper river, for me or 2 boats.

I had a good evening swinging for steelhead, if I leave out certain details. Got seven, all wild fish. The biggest was about the length of my index finger. Somehow they all fair hooked themselves on a size 14 soft hackle hares ear. So, it looks like a successful spawn this year. A pair of mergansers then found the large pod of fry, and it was fun to watch if you weren’t a steelhead fry. Also saw one mama merganser with a big brood of palm sized babies, impossible to get a count.

Take in the small pleasures when the fishing is slow. The American River Parkway is a pretty special place.

Went out after work last night, watched about 10-15 shad caught over the course of a few hours on the opposite bank by spin fisherman. Spotted lots fry in the overflow pools created by the raise in flows. I believe either striper or small trout were feeding on the soft edges as well, I tried some striper patterns when I saw the splashes but no luck. Could be starting to get fun out there! Ganna try the same area again today after work for a bit and see if theres an change. Flows started to trickle down today probably due to the cooler weather but keep an eye on real time flows if you plan to go out. There is still a lot more water entering Lake folsom than it is letting out.

Finally got my first shad of this run this morning. Ended up with getting a handful in about an hour and a half. The first one was a male the rest were thick hens. All caught swinging with a Type 8 sink tip and my pink Lipstick and Pink Firecracker. They should be though out the whole river by next weekend. Let the games begin!

Thanks, Jeff, for all your hard work and dedication that is helping promote our wonderful sport.

As the Blue Gill is the stepping stone to trout fly fishing, the American Shad is the stepping stone to wading and fly fishing rivers for salmon, Stripers and Steelhead.

The Shad run helps promote the Two-handed sport as well.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

It still a slow start but I think by this coming Holiday weekend it should be on. Floated Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning with Earle Sloan and we didn’t get a single bump or saw any. There were some bank anglers and a couple other boats but we saw only one caught by a bankie.

I went out on Sunday fished Ancil Hoffman, Big Bend, Gristmill and Paradise Beach for nothing. Spoke with two other pairs of fly fishers and two pairs of gear fishers. They had none. But did see some moving up river in small pods of 4-6 fish. Spoke with two drift boat pairs one boat had caught a couple of shad and a couple of steelhead, the other boat had nothing. Granted access is very spotty due to the high flows. It's going to be a tough year. We still have a lot of snow in the mountains (up to 20' in spots) so run-off will continue for awhile. The biggest issue with walk and wade is not only fighting the depth and flows but getting around the bank side bushes that are now ten to twenty feet out in the river and underwater but there are places where you can get in and swing just have to be somewhat aggressive in your wading and pick your spots. Please be careful I am 6'4" tall and weigh close to 300 lbs and the river was moving me around pretty good if I went too deep or stood to far out in the flow.