Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2023 American River Shad Reports

We live in South Land Park in south Sacramento in the 1960s.

Down along the Sacramento River, south of the Zoo, the land was all sand.

We live near the "Captain's Table", a restaurant on a barge and the famous "Minnow Hole" on the river.

My dad planted a cherry tree that got pretty big and had thousands of cherries, to die for.

We were definitely a spoiled family when it came to cherries..........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Those were the good old days for sure. Unfortunately a fruit fly showed up in 2010 that gets into cherries and can ruin the whole crop. You can spray for them but I have found it is not very effective. Before 2010 I could let them hang on the tree and eat them when I wanted to but now I have to spray, race the fruit fly to get some before they do and sort through them all to avoid eating too many rotten ones. Kind of a bummer but I am not giving up and letting some fruit fly beat me. Sorry for getting off the shad topic.

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    Those were the good old days for sure. Unfortunately a fruit fly showed up in 2010 that gets into cherries and can ruin the whole crop. You can spray for them but I have found it is not very effective. Before 2010 I could let them hang on the tree and eat them when I wanted to but now I have to spray, race the fruit fly to get some before they do and sort through them all to avoid eating too many rotten ones. Kind of a bummer but I am not giving up and letting some fruit fly beat me. Sorry for getting off the shad topic.
    Sounds like my situation except replace cherry with apricot and fly with squirrel

My grandfather had an old gnarly apricot tree in his backyard near McClatchy High School in South Sacramento.

We had two almond trees and the squirrels got them all?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

The squirrel’s favorite thing to eat in my yard is an apricot that it about two weeks from being ripe. I had five squirrels working my apricot tree last year and they were knocking down about 50 a day. I trapped and relocated them but they just about cleaned me out before I got them. They are a menace if you are trying to grow fruit. Sorry again for getting off the shad topic.

To return it to shad, I always looked for mid-50’s water temps. The temperature yesterday at Sunrise was 51 - kind of shocked at how cold it still is. High point was a mama mallard with 10 (!) very tiny ducklings, and one grab on a dry-lined soft hackle Hares Ear. What, I really don’t know, but I’m going with 10# late steelhead until someone proves me wrong. Or a small tarpon.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchubb View Post
    To return it to shad, I always looked for mid-50’s water temps. The temperature yesterday at Sunrise was 51 - kind of shocked at how cold it still is. High point was a mama mallard with 10(!) very tiny ducklings, and one grab on a dry lined soft hackle hares ear. What, I really don’t know, but I’m going with 10# late steelhead until someone proves me wrong. Or a small tarpon.
    Snow run off does this. Also if Folsom water is being released from the bottom of the lake it will also produce the same thing.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

No huge numbers yet but they're in the American

Yep, aware of what runoff does. No water running down the new spillway, so not deep either, but Folsom is obviously cold, and surprised at how cold the lower river still is based on the 37 years I’ve been fishing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigg A View Post
    No huge numbers yet but they're in the American
    Did you catch fish or just see fish. They don't seem to be real grabby yet from my trips out.