Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2023 American River Shad Reports

Yes, please be safe if you’re wading. I personally won’t wade deeper than my knees in these flows. Capt Andy, Stan Jorgensen and I did some scouting in Andy’s jet Lowe. After 7 hours covering a lot of water, we ended up with two grabs and a 10” male. We didn’t see any but fished a lot of good looking water. Whenever I go out with Andy I learn a lot about different spots on the river.
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 05-22-2023 at 04:00 PM.

Andy Guibord and Jeff Ching are guys to listen to about fly fishing the Lower American River.

Jeff is also a snowboarding guy and a veteran surfer.

Andy is an amazing photographer and an excellent fly tier as well.

Years ago a staff member from the famous Marriott's Fly Shop in Southern Cal came up to fish Shad with us for a weekend.

He had some great Shad fishing and told us he was so jealous that we had the amazing Lower American River in our "backyard."

We are spoiled a bit having the Lower American River running right through town.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I was going to take the mini out today but when I saw that the flows bumped up last night to almost 16K cfs I decided to go on foot. Waded out only to my knees and swung a Type 8 sink tip. Only got 2 right off the bat then nada. Ended up going home when the gear guys started showing up.

It is possible to wade and get shad but you will have to put in the time to find those spots. In a boat there is a lot more fishable water but anchoring is the biggest problem

I saw that bump just now. At 16K, they quit letting them row at Natoma. My son is getting ready there for the Youth JR Nationals in Florida next month, be interesting to see if they let them on the water today. Lotta H2O…

That would be a workout rowing against that current.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchubb View Post
    I saw that bump just now. At 16K, they quit letting them row at Natoma. My son is getting ready there for the Youth JR Nationals in Florida next month, be interesting to see if they let them on the water today. Lotta H2O…

A lot of youngsters from up north practice in the winter at a rowing camp/facility about an hour West of us on a big canal.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    A lot of youngsters from up north practice in the winter at a rowing camp/facility about an hour West of us on a big canal.
    The top rated facility it the country is in Sarasota - the only approved Olympic venue in the US. That’s where my son races next month - was going to do a dyi snook / baby tarpon trip while I was back there, but business intervened. My wife will be going instead, without a fly rod.

Fished the same spot yesterday morning and this morning. Only got one each of those days. I talked to a guy named Dave who said the evening bite has been a lot better but with crowds jockeying for the prime spot. There still is not a whole lot of shad in the system. I think there was an initial push this past weekend but they just jammed upriver. Things should improve next week when the temps heat up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    Fished the same spot yesterday morning and this morning. Only got one each of those days. I talked to a guy named Dave who said the evening bite has been a lot better but with crowds jockeying for the prime spot. There still is not a whole lot of shad in the system. I think there was an initial push this past weekend but they just jammed upriver. Things should improve next week when the temps heat up.
    Thanks for the report Jeff. It is appreciated!
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

Walked uppersunrise yesterday, water is really moving. No one fishing. I did see some schools, here and there but very few places to get to or in the water. I haven’t walked sailor bar side, maybe today.
    I did as usual see a rattle snake. I walked a few miles though. Sunrise to hazel. But just be a where. Especially if you walk a dog.
    Last edited by cmcdhuibh; 05-26-2023 at 09:26 AM.