Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2023 American River Shad Reports

Might be a good year for the Lower Yuba River - July?

I have caught American Shad on a fly in the Sacramento, Feather, Yuba, American and Saint John's River in Florida.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

The Yuba is currently 11k out of Englebright. That’s also a little pushy…

This high water is going to clean out the rivers.

We had 130,000 cfs down the American over the top of the dam on Lake Natoma one year.

That spring the American's bottom was almost white with no or few holes.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

While 11k is very pushy on the Yuba, if you know where to look for shad you are set for an epic day, even wading.
    9k now but still gotta know the water and we're to look.
    NCFG anglers are getting 20-30 to hand on a slow day, 40-60 to hand on a good-great day per angler. Once you get into the rhythm and find that shad-y swing its awesome. Today for about 1hr or so it was minimum a grab a swing most of the time it was 1-3 grabs per swing.

It's been a darn good spring season for steelhead/trout as well as a good-great shad season so far.
    With higher colder water the steelhead fishing has been off the charts and with no salmon season summer steelhead is going to be sweeeeet.

Weve been having way to much fun in the higher than normal water flows this year.

Please be careful if you decide to give the fishing a shot at these higher flows. Things can go south extremely fast.
    Last edited by Brian Clemens; 05-26-2023 at 07:55 PM.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Thanks Brian...for the inspiring information.

In the 1960s I was lucky to be invited to drive to the Yuba Gold Fields for Shad with men of the Great Generation like Joe Patterson

(Cortland Line Rep), Georgie Martin (amazing fly caster), and Joe Shirshac (Local Legend). We drove into the south side, stopping at

the office for the Yuba Gold Fields to pay $2.00 per car. LOL We drove to Daguerre Dam and parked. No fishing was allowed 250 feet

from the dam. The Shad at the dam looked like a fish hatchery, boiling with fish. I had fly fished the American river for Shad but the

Yuba was low and "gin clear". It was shocking and beautiful.

There were also big wild Rainbow trout jumping for large adult Dragonflies. I think we were using very slow sinking shooting heads

and small flies than the norm in those days. Jimmy Potter gave me some small, sparse flies he tied on a Mustad 3908C #8 nickel hook

with tiny bead chain eyes and a red floss body with fine flat tinsel over rap that he developed for the Yuba.

Much later, 15-20 years ago, I was fortunate to be invited on one of Terry Thomas' trips with a group of his friends. Maury Hatch was

the head fly fishing guide and it was a first-class jet boat trip.

For many years Herb Burton, of the Trinity Fly Shop, had a "Shad Camp" on the lower Yuba River.

Try to get a guided jet boat trip on the lower Yuba river for Shad for the best Shad fishing in the World.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Took the mini out yesterday for about 4 hours and didn’t get a single grab. Had to anchor on softer water since my anchor wouldn’t hold out in any current.

Went out with Andy in his jet for some evening scouting and we both got into double digits fishing several spots. Andy landed a 5+ lb hen. We were using heavy sinking lines (25 ft of LC-13 and 300 grain sink tip) with our own flies (Andy’s Lipstick, my pink Lipstick and UV Wet Pinkies).

Did a short float with Earle Sloan mid-day today and we got double digits to the boat. The hot fly for me was the Bloody Maria.

Did a long float with Earle Sloan today. It started out slow but found a bucket that we had been eyeing for a while and then it was on. We fished a couple of other spots that produced and ended up with triple digits to the boat. Angling pressure was light in the morning but got hectic with boats and bank anglers in the late afternoon. Best day for me so far!

Did a short float with Earle today and it was a lot slower. We got into double digits but it was like night and day compared to yesterday. Saw a lot of people I know: Greg Hogg, Andrew Foster, Ethan Bush, Steve Sylvester, Bob Sparre. It was funny that we were talking to Bob Sparre,who was right next to us, about the plight of salmon, steelhead and stripers on our valley waters and Bob was pointing out fish moving around us on his fish fisher. I can sniff them out but the new electronics are amazing!
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 05-29-2023 at 04:15 PM.

Bill
    I'll never forget the dredging ponds they had on the Gold Fields property. Some huge LMB in the evenings. One hot pattern was the a mouse. I watched a guy put a live mouse on a board and floated it out about 50'. He gave a pull on the board and the mouse fell off. I don't think it swam more than 10' before a big explosion.

Our fly fishing club did three outings a year to the GF.

Funny, we always wanted to get on the other side of the river, so we waded across, very slowly. Since I was the short man in the line, I was in between two big dudes that were holding onto me.

A few years later when they closed the GF to access, we waded across the river to fish the GF side.

What was the name of the location where we had access? Not sure if it was private property, with access.

We also had access on a guy's fruit ranch. I think he grew Kiwi's. We would always take him fresh produce from the Salinas valley, his favorite was the artichokes and marinated artichokes.

Then like anything else, others came in and left all their trash and picked a lot of his fruit, NO MORE ACCESS.

I think it was the end of Walnut Ave.
    Last edited by RoosterHunter; 05-29-2023 at 04:53 PM. Reason: ADDED
    Jay Murakoshi