Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2023 American River Shad Reports

Another solo float in the mini. It was tough fishing for most. The same guys in the tin can boat didn’t get any thing. I got into double digits mostly at one spot and then it when dead. Steve Sylvester was out in his Metalhead pram and Mary a Ellen and Erica Mitchell were out in Mary Ellen’s Clacka. Steve gave me an awesome sandwich for lunch. Thanks Steve! Didn’t know that the flows dropped 2K cfs while I was out so that’s probably why it was so slow!,

Floated for 5 hours today with Earle and we only got one. It was the same for everyone else today. I think the change in flows really affected the bite. Tomorrow’s another day and hopefully they will have adjusted to the flows. It’s like just when you figure out where they like to hang out the flow changes.

I went out today hitting places I was told should have fish.....nada. And I didn't see any of the 8,000 bank fisherman hooking up. So Thank You Jeff.....flows are my excuse. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Floated with Earle and we got into double digits. It was a relief after getting only one yesterday. All were caught swinging except for one nymphing. I hope the flows stay stable!

Quote Originally Posted by ErikB View Post
    Going to 9000 CFS and hopefully will hold steady there for a few days or weeks.
    I like that much water just fine but hopefully they don't keep moving it constantly.
    The fish hate that.
    Thanks ErikB! I hope the flows drop just a little bit more so we all can find some room Tight lines

Did a solo float today. It was tough fishing at the start. I didn’t have a single grab for the first couple of hours. I put in some work and ended up with double digits all caught swinging except for one nymphing. Bill Quinn was in his Clacka with a friend and they didn’t get anything up high so they headed down river. Paul and Mary Ellen were in Mary Ellen’s Clacka and I saw them get a few nymphing.

My float started out looking like it was steelhead weather (cloudy, cool and drizzling). The fishing was slow getting only a couple in the first 3 hours. Around lunchtime the sun came out and it warmed up and so did the fishing. Ended up with double digits. There were 3 other jet boats out (Erik in his Wooldridge, Sam Yee and Son in Sam’s Rouge River and a Stealthcraft). I heard that a Eric had an epic day from Sam as I headed to the takeout.
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 06-07-2023 at 04:47 AM.

Slow day for me in my boat. Only landed a handful but still had a little action (more than a half dozen LDRS and 2 break offs). A couple other boats out with me. Bill Quinn was with one of his grooms (he’s a professional photographer) and they got into double digits. Erik was at his spot but today was slower for him too. Still yet he got into double digits. Every day I float there is something different and today was no exception. I spent over 2 hours moving around before I got my first grab and they were in a different place than yesterday. Even though the flows have be stable I don’t think the cool weather helps. Bring on the shad weather (90+ degree temps)!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    Slow day for me in my boat. Only landed a handful but still had a little action (more than a half dozen LDRS and 2 break offs). A couple other boats out with me. Bill Quinn was with one of his grooms (he’s a professional photographer) and they got into double digits. Erik was at his spot but today was slower for him too. Still yet he got into double digits. Every day I float there is something different and today was no exception. I spent over 2 hours moving around before I got my first grab and they were in a different place than yesterday. Even though the flows have be stable I don’t think the cool weather helps. Bring on the shad weather (90+ degree temps)!
    Thanks Jeff for your kindness and generosity. Jeff gave us a gift of flies that caught many of our fish today He also was guiding us right to the fish. Now I know a few of his spots

You’re welcome Bill. It’s always great to see you out on the water especially when you are introducing newbies to shad fishing!