Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2023 American River Shad Reports

Some locals in that area have private access along the lower Yuba River and the Yuba Gold Fields.

A story I once heard: In a pond or two in the Gold Fields close to the river a preacher had put trout in floating pens.

Henry Starr, Joe Patterson and Richard Chapin duck hunted on some of those ponds in the GF.

We knew a George McFarland who was a member of the Colusa Fly Club who raised Kiwis up there?

I think the access roads on the north side of the river east out of Marysville on Hwy 20 were Walnut and Hallwood.

There are literally dozen of very famous fly fishing guides on the Lower Yuba River. I know most of them.

I believe LYR guide Dave Barbieri grew up in Marysville and knows the river well.

I have known his dad for about 50 years who was a good friend of our old Cortland Line Rep, Joe Patterson.

Because of his dad and himself being locals, he has some interesting private access to the river.

The history of the Lower Yuba River is very long and very interesting.

It is one of the most beautiful Shad rivers below Daguerre Dam and one of our top wild Trout fisheries above Daguerre Dam.

50 years ago it had runs of wild steelhead and wild salmon but I don't hear much about the lately.

Stripers can be seen below the dam hanging around the schools of Shad because of the extremely clear water.

100 years ago all the Sacramento Valley Rivers, East and West sides, were tremendous Smallmouth Bass fisheries before the dams.

A veteran Lower Yuba River jet boat Shad guide told in they don't do well for Smallmouth because it is too cold.

He said they get some down low near the mouth going into the Lower Feather River which does have SMB.

When they have a summer with a good flow for Shad I would go with a jet boat guide on the Lower Yuba River.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

On a quick note, I picked up my first shad of the season Saturday evening, and forth e first time ever my first of the season came on the surface. Not seeing much yet -nothing last night - but they are definitely here.

I was concerned about the effect the high flows might have had on the caddis, but not to worry. Huge numbers are coming off in the afternoon and evening, and at least three different ones. Heaviest I’ve seen in the last 30 years I think. Hoping the high water and this huge food source will mean a nice steelhead return two and three years from now!

hwchubb, are you referring to the Yuba or American? Thanks!

"Huge numbers are coming off in the afternoon and evening, and at least three different ones. Heaviest I’ve seen in the last 30 years I think."
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Default shad

Bill,
    I fished with Dave Simmons quite a few times on the Yuba. My first jet boat ride, I was impressed the shallow waters it could go through.

I also remember a couple of people went over Daguerre dam, one drown the other one swam to shore. About an hour later, the body floated right into us. The freaked me out so much that I couldn't fish the rest of the day.

Hallwood Rd was the other road I was trying to remember. I think the guy who owned the property where the club camped was named Chuck.

I hope they have a decent shad season this year, I want to try and make a 1/2 dozen trips, wading or floating after I get home from Baja in late June. gonna find a guide to float a day or two. I'm sure Andy will be booked.

Some big dorado were caught today, one looked to be around 40lbs. Big roosters are also on the list. So far my friend has landed two roosters 70#. he's been there for the past three weeks. I'm looking for a wahoo on the fly, going to use this Cam Sigler purple popper with double 6/0-6/0 rigged set up. Also have a diving bill for it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5839.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	158.5 KB 
ID:	19056  
    Jay Murakoshi

Floated again with Earle and we got double digits to the boat. It wasn’t red hot like Sunday but we would little flurries then it would go dead. I think that they are just moving up. Earle did good with a holographic Too Sexy and I caught most of mine on my Pink Eye Perdigon.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutsource View Post
    hwchubb, are you referring to the Yuba or American? Thanks!

"Huge numbers are coming off in the afternoon and evening, and at least three different ones. Heaviest I’ve seen in the last 30 years I think."
    The American. I live just off Lake Natoma, and have lived here and just off Sailor Bar for the last 25 years, so most of the time I’m on the upper part of the river, Effie Yeaw and up.

Solo float in the mini today. Got into double digits mostly swinging but I did get a handful nymphing. Hot fly was the Pink Eye.
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 06-01-2023 at 05:04 PM.

Another solo float today. It started out with a bit of traffic (Happy with clients, Bill Quinn in his Clacka and a tin can aluminum boat). Got one big hen in the scrum and then I had to wait until things cleared out. Picked up one or two here and there until the take out. Ended up with double digits (barely) mostly on the Pink Eye and a couple on the Pink Firecracker and a couple nymphing Andy’s Perdigon.

I'm excited to get out for some shad. I see the flows are bumping down. Does anyone know what the target is on that? The AR is down under 11k from what I see today, and I'm hoping some more shore opens up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by FattMerro View Post
    I'm excited to get out for some shad. I see the flows are bumping down. Does anyone know what the target is on that? The AR is down under 11k from what I see today, and I'm hoping some more shore opens up soon.
    Going to 9000 CFS and hopefully will hold steady there for a few days or weeks.
    I like that much water just fine but hopefully they don't keep moving it constantly.
    The fish hate that.