Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2023 American River Shad Reports

Thanks, Jeff. Can't wait to get on the water.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Capt. Maury Hatch told me that there are boats lined up at Miller Park and Andy told me that they are being caught at the mouth of the American. Flows got bumped up to 8000 cfs this morning so the shad should be shooting up river. Finding a spot to wade for them is going to be tough when the flows go higher. I’m going to using 25 ft of LC-13 to get down when fishing from a boat.

Went to check out the Sac this morning. There is no beach at Discovery and only a few bank striper anglers. There were a half dozen boats on anchor on the West side of the river across from the boat launch. Went to Miller Park and there were some bank gear anglers lined up but I didn’t see any hook ups. I expect the shad will be in the America in the next week or two.

Anybody out there lately? I'm hoping to have my boat fishable by mid next week...

Fished Gristmill yesterday. Saw a sea lion as soon as I pulled up and thought at first that it followed the shad up river. Had one grab but I don’t think it was a shad because I will normally get ‘em on the next swing. The sea lion gave a little scare when it almost beached itself chasing a 7-8 lb sucker 15 yards above me.
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 05-06-2023 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    Fished Gristmill yesterday. Saw a sea lion as soon as I pulled up and thought at first hat it followed the shad up river. Had one grab but I don’t think it was a shad because I will normally get ‘em on the next swing. The sea lion gave a little scare when it almost beached itself chasing a 7-8 lb sucker.
    Sea lions have been hanging around the area for a month now

The past couple of days I’m starting to see more cottonwood flying around. Got a couple of reports that a few are being caught but I haven’t got anything yet or seen anyone hook up. There are more anglers (mostly spin/bobber) showing up daily. When the weather warms up I expect to start getting ‘em. If it’s not 90+ degrees it’s not shad weather.

Cottonwood fluff is a good marker and so is the ripening of cherries.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Still no shad for me and I’ve been trying every day. I went through my records and over the last ten years I’ve caught my first shad evenly split between the end of April and early May. The latest date was May 8th. When they do show up they will spread throughout the whole river in the matter of days. BTW, there is cottonwood fluff everywhere.

My cherries are a long way from ripe. Rainers are the first to ripen. I have a lot this year. Lots of rain in the winter seems to make a bigger cherry crop. I think they will be late and there will be a lot so maybe the shad will be the same.