Some locals in that area have private access along the lower Yuba River and the Yuba Gold Fields.

A story I once heard: In a pond or two in the Gold Fields close to the river a preacher had put trout in floating pens.

Henry Starr, Joe Patterson and Richard Chapin duck hunted on some of those ponds in the GF.

We knew a George McFarland who was a member of the Colusa Fly Club who raised Kiwis up there?

I think the access roads on the north side of the river east out of Marysville on Hwy 20 were Walnut and Hallwood.

There are literally dozen of very famous fly fishing guides on the Lower Yuba River. I know most of them.

I believe LYR guide Dave Barbieri grew up in Marysville and knows the river well.

I have known his dad for about 50 years who was a good friend of our old Cortland Line Rep, Joe Patterson.

Because of his dad and himself being locals, he has some interesting private access to the river.

The history of the Lower Yuba River is very long and very interesting.

It is one of the most beautiful Shad rivers below Daguerre Dam and one of our top wild Trout fisheries above Daguerre Dam.

50 years ago it had runs of wild steelhead and wild salmon but I don't hear much about the lately.

Stripers can be seen below the dam hanging around the schools of Shad because of the extremely clear water.

100 years ago all the Sacramento Valley Rivers, East and West sides, were tremendous Smallmouth Bass fisheries before the dams.

A veteran Lower Yuba River jet boat Shad guide told in they don't do well for Smallmouth because it is too cold.

He said they get some down low near the mouth going into the Lower Feather River which does have SMB.

When they have a summer with a good flow for Shad I would go with a jet boat guide on the Lower Yuba River.