Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2023 American River Shad Reports

Solo float today and swinging the big hole only produced a few fish. Happy was with clients and he was getting them into a lot of shad nymphing the slack water. I ended up fishing a few spots further down river and got into double digits swinging a Holo Ronald.

Another solo float today. When I got down to the big hole Victor xin his blue raft was anchored at the drop off and Jefe (Jeff Morin) was in the bottom corner in a U boat. Swinging was slow and I only got a couple before heading down river where I did well swinging. Jefe told me that after I left the big hole a big school moved in just in time for two drift boats (Joe Vasquez was one of them) that arrived at the hole.

I’ve not been following the shad run this year but it’s encouraging to hear about the larger SH being caught

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    I’ve not been following the shad run this year but it’s encouraging to hear about the larger SH being caught
    If only the AR water temp would stay at or below 60 the trout would stick around.

If they would have put in the "Auburn Dam" years ago the Lower American River would be more like the Lower Sacramento River with

resident trout, Steelhead, salmon, Shad and Stripers.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Another solo float today. Fishing was a lot slower in the morning. Only got a couple in the big hole so I headed down river. It didn’t improve until after lunch. Ended up in double digits with most caught swinging a Holo Ronald.

Solo float and I wasn’t expecting much. Got to the big hole and it was dead slow. 3 other drift boats (including Mary Ellen and Joe) and Greg Hogg in his power drifter. The guides nymphing in the slack water was hooking fish but I couldn’t get much swinging. I stuck it out and kept changing flies. Finally I tried Andy’s guide secret fly and I started to get fish. Ended up in double digits and was off the water by 2:30 before it got too hot.

Slow day for me. I only got a handful and was off the water by noon. I think I had a case of too much sun yesterday and I couldn’t get many bites where I was anchored. Andy called and told me he was whackin’ ‘em upriver with his client. The bobber guys have invaded Bruce’s Flat and are casting three quarters of the way across the river.

Someone on a boat yelled to me they where in the middle. I told him I can’t throw that far.
    Curious, when you are doing well do you change the fly to see if it is the fly or just the right spot?
    I haven’t done well at all from shore this year to test that out.

I personally think it more your location in the river than the fly. Having drifted almost every day so far I do find them more in the middle of the river during the day.

I wet waded today mid morning and got a handful swinging my a Pink Eye Perdigon and Andy’s secret guide fly.