Thread: SAGE XP 10' 8wt. 4pc. Line recomendations

Default SAGE XP 10' 8wt. 4pc. Line recomendations

Greetings,
    I wanted to get those who know's opinion on line weight for my Sage XP 8wt 10' 4pc. rod.
    I've got it loaded with an older Rio WF 8wt. Salmon Steel Head line it feels like i could go up a line weight but wanted to hear others thoughts on up lining the rod. Same question for grain weight when using a shooting head.
    I feel at 380 grains is right but wanted again some opinions.

Thanks,
    J Ice

I have that rod in a 7wt, which I lined up to an 8wt Salmon/Steelhead line and an 8wt Rio full sinker. I have not used shooting heads on it yet; my Rio full sink has the integrated running line and it shoots forever without tangling.

How used is your 8wt line? I may consider taking it off your hands for my 7wt

Quote Originally Posted by ICE View Post
    Greetings,
    I wanted to get those who know's opinion on line weight for my Sage XP 8wt 10' 4pc. rod.
    I've got it loaded with an older Rio WF 8wt. Salmon Steel Head line it feels like i could go up a line weight but wanted to hear others thoughts on up lining the rod. Same question for grain weight when using a shooting head.
    I feel at 380 grains is right but wanted again some opinions.

Thanks,
    J Ice
    What kind of fishing are you doing with this fly rod? Techniques?

Many have converted 10' fly rods to two-handed rods by having the cork handle modified.

~20 years ago we never sold many 10' #8 line fly rods because it takes a lot of wrist and arm strength to cast them.

With the very latest, extremely efficient, light composites, a 10' single-hand fly rod is more practical than ever.

If you are fishing Steelhead I would put a "Single-hand Spey line" on it so you could use Spey casting techniques.

A Rio Salmon/Steelhead line has a long belly or long head for longer casting and longer mending on larger rivers.

For you a WF9F makes sense if you are swing flies, fishing wide, shallow Steelhead/Atlantic salmon rivers.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    What kind of fishing are you doing with this fly rod? Techniques?

Many have converted 10' fly rods to two-handed rods by having the cork handle modified.

~20 years ago we never sold many 10' #8 line fly rods because it takes a lot of wrist and arm strength to cast them.

With the very latest, extremely efficient, light composites, a 10' single-hand fly rod is more practical than ever.

If you are fishing Steelhead I would put a "Single-hand Spey line" on it so you could use Spey casting techniques.

A Rio Salmon/Steelhead line has a long belly or long head for longer casting and longer mending on larger rivers.

For you a WF9F makes sense if you are swing flies, fishing wide, shallow Steelhead/Atlantic salmon rivers.

if you cast a long line does the rod load better for you? Then go up a weight. If the opposite, then go down 1. (I don't think that is the case tho)

This is tough if you don't specify what and where you are fishing. I see Boulder Creek in your avatar- this going to be the San Lorenzo?

That is short casts so maybe the best thing is to overline by 1 weight, maybe look at the SA fly lines- they make a series that is 1/2 a line weight heavy.

Not sure of the grain weight of your Rio, so its hard to say. XP rods can handle a range of lines so actual testing will be the best way to know.

for a shooting head, go with a 9 to start. I second the idea of a single hand spey. OPST makes some really good lines for this sort of thing and the ability to dial it in for your rod with different tips makes for a good option

Thanks everyone,
    I should have been more specific in my original post.

I have been using this rod for indicator fishing, surf casting with shooting heads, and stripper fishing.
    Even with a few older Out Bound Short integrated SH lines in 8wt. the rod loads kind of weak. and fish better off my 7wt. When surf casting with at SH and mono running line, I believe I am throwing 360 grains. I have a hard time getting the head to straighten out at the end of the cast. I am hesitant to overline too much or cut down another head trying to figure out the right wt.
    Thanks,
    J Ice

Integrate the video streaming solution: Once you have chosen a video streaming solution, you need to integrate it into your website. This can be done using an API or by adding create an online marketplace
    Last edited by kevins; 02-23-2023 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ICE View Post
    Thanks everyone,
    I should have been more specific in my original post.

I have been using this rod for indicator fishing, surf casting with shooting heads, and stripper fishing.
    Even with a few older Out Bound Short integrated SH lines in 8wt. the rod loads kind of weak. and fish better off my 7wt. When surf casting with at SH and mono running line, I believe I am throwing 360 grains. I have a hard time getting the head to straighten out at the end of the cast. I am hesitant to overline too much or cut down another head trying to figure out the right wt.
    Thanks,
    J Ice
    Throwing a shooting head is not the same as a full line, if the head doesnt straighten out for you it could be casting and not the line rod combination

you say: Even with a few older Out Bound Short integrated SH lines in 8wt. the rod loads kind of weak. and fish better off my 7wt

but that would point to the rod being OVERloaded.

I have owned that rod model and found it to be too "soft" to throw 8wt OBS lines, and larger grain 8wt heads. It will throw them, but neither you, or the rod, will enjoy a full day of trying.

I liked the rod, but it was not all-round enough for my needs. That said, I would try a 7wt OBS on it to see if it improves, or worsens. A test with a 300 gr head would be a good comparison. An 8wt OBS is 2 line sizes bigger (10 wt equiv). Too much for that rod to carry.

That would be my advice, as it sounds like you want to keep it in your stable.

My 2 cents,

Dan Williams
    17 rods in my stable. Only two are Sages. A 6wt XP, love it. And, an 11wt Xi2. And, I love St. Croix 7wt Bankrobbers for chucking heads and Type 3 OBS type lines. Rods are like boats, almost every one will fall short in one area, or another. But, if we find what they really like...... Well, that's why I now have 17.