Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower Yuba Question

Default Lower Yuba Question

The silence is deafening—since the Skwalas should be out and about by now, I’m wondering if the December/January storms killed the hatch entirely this year or whether it was pushed off until the weather isn’t so severe (like, now)? Has anyone who’s been out there lately?

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    The silence is deafening—since the Skwalas should be out and about by now, I’m wondering if the December/January storms killed the hatch entirely this year or whether it was pushed off until the weather isn’t so severe (like, now)? Has anyone who’s been out there lately?
    Don’t know if ya don’t go. I have heard the water is still off color with viz at 2-3’ which isn’t ideal for dry fly fishing. Wading/crossing could be a challenge at 2000+ cfs.

A buddy plans to fish Yuba the next couple days. I'll ask him when he gets off the water.

Wading across? I think that will be replaced with "floating down" at 2200 cfs!!!! I was wondering the same thing, if the higher flows would have pushed a lot of the nymphs off the rocks and downriver. Time will tell . . .

Bob

Not seeing many naturals on top today

Quote Originally Posted by yubaman View Post
    Wading across? I think that will be replaced with "floating down" at 2200 cfs!!!! I was wondering the same thing, if the higher flows would have pushed a lot of the nymphs off the rocks and downriver. Time will tell . . .

Bob
    What flow is wadable, like going across? 700 cfs?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Most spots I cross are doable at 800 CFS but become more limited with higher flows. My cap is 1200 CFS for crossing anywhere in the river. With recent flows old crossing areas may have changed too. +1600 CFS I would rather float it. Its just not as fun to fish from the accessible areas of the bank at those flows.
    Keep Calm and Fly Fish
    https://keepcalmandflyfish.com/

I am 6’2”, and 1200 is about my cap as well. There is usually a spot or two that allow crossing at 1400, but that is about it.

I was out Sunday. Pretty dirty, maybe 2 feet visibility. No sign of any hatches coming off or fish rising. Managed to get one fish nymphing in about 6 hours. Flow is high and you can't see the bottom so crossing is out of the question.

A warm, sunny day with some afternoon breeze in February during a drought cycle (low flow) is usually best.

In the drought of the late 1970s we caught nice adult Steelhead on Skwala dries in February.

40 years ago the lower Yuba river had good runs of wild Fall King salmon and wild adult Fall and Winter-run Steelhead.

Back then before the Wild Trout/Catch-n-release regulations locals would use roe to catch the Steelhead.

Some years with higher spring flows don't have very much good Skwala top-water action.

Years ago the spring flows were usually too high to permit any good wade fishing.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........