Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1/23/2023 - Eel River conditions

it seems very few fish are trickling in the rivers. Fished Garcia and Gualala river in perfect water conditions and got skunked. Not one local guy fishing. this says it all. Hoping for a better February.

We just fished SF Eel and Mattole for 3 days. Water is absolutely perfect. We got a Squawfish and a smolt for 2 experienced indicator anglers over the 3 days. Feels like very few fish in the system right now. Never saw another bent rod on the river in those 3 days. Heard that a few were caught, but only a very few, on plugs.

That reflects everything I’m hearing. My buddy was on the Van Duzen for 6 days, and 3 very fishy guys ended up with 2 for the week. I got over on the Navarro for 2 hours Friday morning, most perfect looking steelhead green I’ve ever fished and never saw anything resembling a fish. Disappointing start to the coastal season.

Catching a Winter-run Steelhead on a fly is like trying to date a Super Model.

Many years ago there were no fly fishing guides for Winter Steelhead until the Indicators came on the scene.

In the 1960s hundreds of drift boat guides pulled plugs and bounced roe on the Eel river when it was incredible.

The big drought of the late 1970s killed the Steelhead runs on the North Coast.

It helps if you know locals on the Coast who are good anglers who can tell you when to come over.

When some of us went to the coast, many years ago, I enjoyed it when anyone on the river hooked a wild fresh run fish.

I am happy that I have heard the Eel river is slowly recovering.

The best thing that has happened in my lifetime is the removal of dams.

Remember, Fall Steelheading is far more productive for "most" in Nor Cal, OR and WA.

October is my personal pick for going. September, October and November are all good choices as well.

Again, most of my info here is to help the new to Steelheading, not you experts.

Also, my info is from the best fly fishers I know/knew, and the best guides and SH lodges.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Not wasting my time or gas money this year based on what I’m hearing so far. If it doesn’t happen in the next couple weeks out there I don’t see it happening at all unfortunately.

Just noticed this thread now, otherwise I would have chimed in earlier. I visit family in Humboldt periodically and was hoping for a better winter steelhead season. I fished the S Fork Eel 4 days and Redwood Creek once around 2-3 weeks ago, swinging flies via spey rod. Through it all, I managed one legitimate "bump" on a guided float trip on the S Fork Eel and one potential half pounder on Redwood Creek. Only knew of one hookup, a half pounder on Redwood Creek by someone we met but it shook free quickly.

We were hoping to hit the Mad but as noted above, it hadn't cleared enough when I was there. What was really disconcerting was that we went up to the Mad River hatchery and saw only about 15 fish in the holding pool at the top of the fish ladder, and half those were half pounders. When the run is on, that pool is packed with adults.

I'll be up there again mid-March, which is on the late side but I have to be up there anyway, so I'll probably give it another go.

I am/was planning on one more run north but, with all of the dismal reports I might just say F it. I know these fish are unicorns but man, if the gear and bait guys aren't getting any, it sure doesn't fill a swinger with much confidence!

Veteran North Coast Winter Steelhead fly fisherman, Walt Bennett, told me if the locals with fresh roe are not catching any, they are not there.

I heard, back then, that in the 1960s and '70s in the winter, there were about 200 drift boat guides pulling plugs in the Eel river, daily and most produced limits of large wild Steelhead for their 2 clients.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Wow! I am guessing that number is maybe 50 now with about a third of those from outside the local area.

I'm heading up early tomorrow morning for a couple days. Probably fish the VD because the Eel is a little too big for my taste right now. And I know the VD pretty well. I figure if I concentrate on the spots I've caught fish before, I might luck into one. It's not like there are NO fish, just not in high numbers. I'll post a report upon my return next week.

~Jeff