Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1/23/2023 - Eel River conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    I'm heading up early tomorrow morning for a couple days. Probably fish the VD because the Eel is a little too big for my taste right now. And I know the VD pretty well. I figure if I concentrate on the spots I've caught fish before, I might luck into one. It's not like there are NO fish, just not in high numbers. I'll post a report upon my return next week.

~Jeff
    Curious to know how it goes.

Northern Ca and Southern Oregon seem to have spotty numbers, up where I am we are doing alright. I only fish weekends these days and we are getting 4-6 fish every trip since early January. Not too bad in my opinion.....

I fished the Van Duzen on Friday. I actually lucked into very nice fish. The fish was a 30" chromer, probably pushing 12lbs or so. Stunning specimen. Got it on the swing using one of Carl Blackledge's comet type patterns he sells at a store here in Sonoma County. Thanks Carl! That fish was probably swimming in the ocean the day before. Just a gorgeous fish. It was the only grab I had all day.

The river was in prime shape. Lots of gravel got moved around during the deluges this winter. That place got annihilated! The main Eel was green, but still pretty big. The SF Eel was primo, but very crowded, as expected. I only ran into one drift boat all day on the VD.

There are fish to be had, but you just gotta get lucky.

~Jeff

Jeff,

Glad to hear my fly worked for you. I have caught my biggest steelhead ever on a size 8 gold comet

I have about 4 boxes of steelhead flies I am going to post on here soon...I am asking $125.00

Carl Blackledge

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Blackledge View Post
    Jeff,

Glad to hear my fly worked for you. I have caught my biggest steelhead ever on a size 8 gold comet

I have about 4 boxes of steelhead flies I am going to post on here soon...I am asking $125.00

Carl Blackledge
    Ya Carl, it was the pattern with the silver body and orange hackle and tail. Unfortunately I lost the only two I had backcasting onto the cobble. But it got the job done prior to snapping them off on the rocks.

I love those flies because they sink fast and ride very nice on the swing when tied with a loop knot. After catching that fish, I'm very confident in fishing that fly!

~Jeff

Well done Jeff. Gotta love comets and bosses. Carl, are your flies sold at King’s? Or outdoor pro? Have made a few trips to the eel this season and been fishing the russian since it came into shape with nothing to hand. I was lucky to catch a downer about the same size as your fish on the gualala a month ago. It was my first tidal SH in CA, caught it above the raceway, and thought it ironic it was a spent buck heading back to the ocean. Other fishermen were saying that they were in and out real fast with the high water, hoping that has a bit to do with the low numbers on other rivers too, and fish came in and were back out by the time rivers dropped into shape

Quote Originally Posted by Jcolin View Post
    Well done Jeff. Gotta love comets and bosses. Carl, are your flies sold at King’s? Or outdoor pro? Have made a few trips to the eel this season and been fishing the russian since it came into shape with nothing to hand. I was lucky to catch a downer about the same size as your fish on the gualala a month ago. It was my first tidal SH in CA, caught it above the raceway, and thought it ironic it was a spent buck heading back to the ocean. Other fishermen were saying that they were in and out real fast with the high water, hoping that has a bit to do with the low numbers on other rivers too, and fish came in and were back out by the time rivers dropped into shape
    I bought mine at Outdoor Pro Shop in Rhonert Park. Seems like Carl's flies are the only ones they really re-stock there anymore. They used to have a great selection of trout flies, but they haven't resupplied them in years. I wish we had a real fly fishing shop in Sonoma County.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    Ya Carl, it was the pattern with the silver body and orange hackle and tail. Unfortunately I lost the only two I had backcasting onto the cobble. But it got the job done prior to snapping them off on the rocks.

I love those flies because they sink fast and ride very nice on the swing when tied with a loop knot. After catching that fish, I'm very confident in fishing that fly!

~Jeff
    I believe fishing with confidence is a critical factor. I'm glad you found a fly that gives you that confidence. Stick with it and catch more!