Thread: Good interview with WaterMaster owner

Default Good interview with WaterMaster owner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFtlOn5bPxM

Very high-quality build and they have been thoroughly tested on the Dean River, BC.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I have owned a Watermaster Kodiak for several years and would add 2 important extras that help me at age 75.

1. I use a cheap ($39) Coleman Quickpump rechargeable air pump to inflate the WM 95%. Where it really helps is in deflating the boat because sucking all the air out makes the boat smaller so it is easier and faster to fold and pack.

2. A Dolly to roll the boat fully loaded. I find it easier to load up the boat and make one trip to the water. The one trip really helps at the takeout. I made my dolly out of PVC pipe and if needed, I lash it across the front tubes to use it as a shelf or for a passenger seat.

I also have a 20" folding bicycle with a folding flat trailer. I load up the WM and all gear, ride upriver 5- 10 miles to put in, then I use the folding trailer as a rear platform with the folded bike on top... I have fished the Klamath, Trinity, Lower Sac, and the Yuba by bike. Alas I think those biking days have just passed. Last year I did a 3 day float trip in ID and the WM can hold everything you need for longer floats.

Only issue I have with Watermaster is glued instead of welded seams. Glue eventually fails.

Woodman- Thanks, you got me thinking about what all the changes in technology mean in today's inflatables.

Lots of pro-weld or pro-glue biased articles on the internet but my take is that a boat from one of the top inflatable companies should last 10-15 years since most glue today chemically bonds the pieces while welding is a molecular bond . IMHO the cheaper the product the shorter the life.

FOR OCCASIONAL USERS like most fly fishermen, misuse and not properly maintaining the boat seem to shorten the life more than seam construction. Commercial rafts/inflatables or heavy use are a different discussion-- welded seams all the way.

Following link is to the best article I found and even though it is by AIRE rafts (Outcast) it is not overly slanted. AIRE/Outcast uses welded seams plus it uses bladders on many of its products. Of all the companies in this industry I have had the best service from Outcast. If I was to replace my Watermaster Kodiak it would be with another Outcast.

It is a long read but everyone who is considering buying any inflatable should read it.

https://aireraft.com/more/rafts-rubb...-great-debate/

Jim
    Last edited by JayDubP; 02-26-2023 at 09:34 AM.