Thread: Scientific Anglers System 3 Saltwater Reel - $300

Default Scientific Anglers System 3 Saltwater Reel - $300

Sold - thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2727.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	411.7 KB 
ID:	18696   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2726.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	526.8 KB 
ID:	18695   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2729.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	449.6 KB 
ID:	18697  
    Last edited by Pvillarr; 01-12-2023 at 01:57 PM.
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

Kind of a rare fly reel. I am sure many have never seen one before.

Would be interesting to know the story behind the reel.

I have held some and they looked and felt substantial.

You might check with Bill Archuleta Reels Works to see if parts are available for it.

Scientific Angler has a long, interesting history, bought by the 3M Corp many years ago.

It was a great company with fantastic warranty policies.

I would send a fly reel back that had a problem and they would just send me a new one, in the box, at no charge.

Scientific Angler Company was recently purchased by Orvis.

Over the years Orvis had lots of their product made and labeled by other manufacturers.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hi Bill,

Here is the information I found online about the reel:

“ I believe the SA System 3 fly reels were made by api in New Jersey, the company that made Bill Hunter's HMH fly tying vice, the Catino fly reel (at one point), and two fly reels that were designed by Oscar Kovalovsky, which were labeled "api". The System 3 reels are direct-drive and came in two sizes, 10/11 wt and 11/12 wt. They are beautifully polished and anodized a deep rich burgandy color. The reels have a palming rim on the spool and the drag is an "O-ring" design that was developed by a gentleman in Florida. The reel foot is offset to help balance the reel and the drag knob is on the opposite side of the handle. At the end of the System 3 production, the reels sold for $695, however, I have seen others selling these reels quoting a retail of $750. The reels today sell for only $250 to $400 on eBay and they are a bargain.

I believe the reels were discontinued primarily because of their high price, higher than a Seamaster as the time. The high price was possibly due to Scientific Anglers having to pay royalties on the drag design as well as purchasing the licensing rights or patent from the designer. Also, SA had a U.S. company manufacture the reels rather than going overseas. These reels were a product from SA (a 3M company), not a small shop or custom reel maker. I also believe the engraved "System 3" on the spool face was not very appealing and cheapened the look of what was a fairly attractive reel. The molded rubber paddle-shaped handle did not help the looks of the reel either. The bugandy color was not for everyone but SA was looking for something other than the typical gold and black.”
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V