Thread: Lake Oroville question

Default Lake Oroville question

I'd like to fish Oroville this winter. Any suggestions for easy access when using a pontoon boat? Thanks.

Mike, there are four ramps near the dam, three to the south and one just on the north side of the dam itself.

You mentioned "easy" and that might be a problem as the water level is low. If you call any of the marinas they can tell you how low it is and where you might launch.

I've used Lime Saddle marina (way up on the north fork) and also the Spillway Ramp at the dam. I think the Spillway Ramp would be my first choice if the water isn't too low, and this would be the easiest.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Thanks Tony. By pontoon boat I meant the inflatable type. My concern is how far I would need to travel to get to good fishing. I'll check out the places you mentioned.

Lots of good structure close to the spillway ramp area. Loafer ramp is close to lots of steep structure around the 162 bridge. I'd probably start here if I was in a pontoon. Bidwell is the only concrete ramp currently under water if that matters. If this winter is anything like last winter it won't matter where you start. Just need to figure out what kind of structure they're on. I'm actually going to try and sneak up there Monday.

Thanks for the info I'll give it a try in early January.

MThompson knows an awful lot about winter fishing on Oroville. The fish can be deep, making the float and fly a challenge. FnF is absolutely the best way to fish for bass in cold water. I've caught 10-12 fish on FnF or stripping with type 6 sinker line; Thompson had over 60 on spinning gear and jigs. Of course, when he fished with the fly on FnF, he still out fished me by 3-2.

That was a fun day Mike. We should do it again soon. Hopefully these predicted storms get some water running into the lake.