Thread: A new rod and re-assessing my abilities.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default A new rod and re-assessing my abilities.

Some of you may or may not remember that I disclosed that I had an ischemic stroke (an ischemic stroke is the five dollar "technical" term for when a blood clot blocks the flow of blood and oxygen to parts the brain) at the end of this past September.

I had planned, last summer that I was going to to build another 4 weight trout switch/spey rod that would be a "small step up " in aesthetics (metallic blue inlay threads and metallic blue reel seat flash with blue stripping guide rings which differed slightly from my " last 4 weight trout spey that I built a few of years ago.: cool:

Obviously, I had a concern if I still had the ability to craft a new to me rod having just dealt with the damage the stroke had on my " fine motor skills ". "Fine motor skills" are the abilities to move with coordination and finesse muscles in the hands/fingers or other appendages in a high level of precision to complete a given task. My handwriting is still terrible as I lost that skill in my left side due to the stroke ( I'm left handed and was only slightly ambidextrous prior to my stroke.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0412.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	254.1 KB 
ID:	18557 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0413.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	240.2 KB 
ID:	18558 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0423.JPG 
Views:	157 
Size:	241.5 KB 
ID:	18560 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0417.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	293.0 KB 
ID:	18559

As of tonight my rod is "completed, epoxy has cured, and is lined - with a RIO "Switch Chucker" I think I may have to go test it out tomorrow at a local put-and take pond !!!!

There won't be any dang cutthroats, but I "should" at a minimum, get my rod bent a few times.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0424.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	252.1 KB 
ID:	18561  
    Last edited by BS; 12-09-2022 at 08:56 AM. Reason: clarification