Thread: Melones Spotty

Default Melones Spotty

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	318152478_627525875817414_2288312090799911876_n.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	458.4 KB 
ID:	18555Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo_2022-12-06_07-00-03 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	18556

Braved some rain on Monday morning, but the cloud cover and warmer night temperatures had caused these bass to hold closer to the bank. Managed to rope in a few on my 5 weight using Delta Bass Bugs floatnfly rig and a sparkle bunny fly, including this stud with a fat belly.

Thanks Lucas.....

I don't see many reports from New Melones reservoir on here.

A friend lived near it and fished in with boat and conventional methods told me it was a good lake.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

The Delta Bas Bug crew fish it frequently. They have frequent posts to Bass on the Fly, and other social media.

Lucas, that's a good fish up there right now as most people have been having a hard time finding size. I was up there last Wednesday and Saturday. Saturday was surprisingly slow considering the incoming storm but the float n fly was still effective. Really hoping we get some incoming water soon because that always helps the bite up there.
    You mentioned fish being tight to the bank and I have found most of the fish I catch are when I get the fly to turn over past the cork and land as close to the bank as possible. When I don't get it up there tight it's usually a wasted cast in my experience.

My presentation varies depending on the specific structure Im targetting. If its a rock pile off a bank I like to cast almost onto shore and kind of drag my fly down the slope to get fish cruising the slope, then let it suspend by the rock pile and soak it for as long as I feel. Or if Im fishing by sunken trees, which there are a ton of at the moment in most spots on Melones I will soak the fly by the tree and typically a fish or 2 from the group will come pick it up. For extended points i like to sit on one side of the point and cast across and then bring my fly perpendicular to the point. This fish was off an extended point.

These are the same presentations i like to use when Im fishing conventional tackle such as a ned rig for these pickier reservoir bass
    Last edited by Lucas Dement; 12-07-2022 at 01:43 PM.