Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sage 508 and 509 Reels

Default Sage 508 and 509 Reels

All prices exclude shipping. I’m willing to ship for exact cost. Local pickup in Puyallup, WA.

Sage 508 (1). This reel is lightly used, but in very good shape. A little bit of patina on the line guard (single screw) and the handle post. and minimal wear on reel foot. The frame is clean and a very very small mark on the spool. This reel is a 9.9/10. Just add grease and fish or put it in the collection. SOLD.

Sage 508 (2). This reel is used, but in very good shape. This one has a decent amount of patina (drag knob, and some other components). A little bit of oxidation on the reel foot and face. I can tell you how to address these small things, but some people feel that takes away from the value. A small bit of the white/silver Sage lettering has rubbed off. The frame and spool are clean. The reel has always been stored with the drag off. It is spooled with a T200 line. Grease it and make it sing. $400.

Sage 509 (1). This reel is lightly used, but in very good shape. A little bit of patina on the line guard (single screw) and a few nicks on spool. This one does not have Sage 509 printed on the face of the frame. Grease it and fish it for years to come. SOLD.

Sage 509 (2). This reel is lightly used, but in very good shape. A little bit of patina on the line guard (single screw) and minimal wear on reel foot. The spool and frame are clean. The locking mechanism to engage spool is a tad sticky. This reel is a 9.9+/10. Comes spooled with a sinking line. Grease it and fish it for years to come. $475.

Sage 509 (3). A little bit of patina on the line guard (single screw) and handle post. Minimal wear on the reel foot. The spool and frame are clean. This reel is a 9.9+/10. Spooled with an Ultra DT WF9F. Just add grease and fish or put it in the collection. $475.

Sage 509 (4). This reel is lightly used, but in very good shape. A little bit of patina on the line guard (single screw) and the counterweight. Minimal wear on reel foot. The frame is clean and a very very small mark on the spool. There is some sticker residue on the frame and a little bit of oxidation on the back of spool around the spool lock/release mechanism. I can tell you how to address these small things, but some people feel that takes away from the value. Reel is spooled with a T400 line. Just add grease and fish or put it in the collection. $475.

Sage 509 (5). This reel is used, but in good shape. A little bit of patina on the line guard (single screw). Minimal wear on reel foot. The frame is clean. The spool has some nicks on the edges. Reel is spooled with a Cortland 444SL WF7F Rocket line. Grease it, fish it, and make them scream. SOLD.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	474.2 KB 
ID:	18539   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	398.8 KB 
ID:	18540   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	391.9 KB 
ID:	18541   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	386.2 KB 
ID:	18542   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	376.6 KB 
ID:	18543  

Last edited by Flyguy88; 06-02-2023 at 06:09 PM.

Any of these iconic fly reels would be very nice for small (50 or medium (509) size two-handed fly rods.

They are not very easy to find when you want or need one and their values will not be going down.

The 509s are harder to find. We never sold very many in the pre-Spey or single-hand years.

Sage had Hardy Brothers in England produce those 500 series reels.

They are very close to the design of the famous Hardy Marquis reels with an adjustable light, and smooth click-n-pawl drag.

They also have a rim brake or rim control drag feature.

They are fully machined from bar stock aerospace alloy, anodized finish with nickel silver fittings.

Many of us "old timers/boomers" love to use "ratchet drag" reels for trout and steelhead.

When they were selling new I had a 504L, 505L, 506, 507 and 508 plus spools in pre-Spey California.

Personally, for Steelhead or trout, I would never use anything but a "ratchet reel" or "click-n-pawl" fly reel.

The only downside to the Spey or two-hand fly fishing is it really took a bite out of our indicator sales?

Most will catch more Steelhead using an indicator system except on the Klamath River and lower Rogue River in the Fall.

Spey/Two-handed fly fishing has been really good for our wonderful sport.

It was fun for me to see some of the Great Generation try Spey after originally poo-pooing it.

Sacramento's veteran fly fisher, Chuck Campana, really got into Spey casting the last 10 years or so.

He was down at the river almost daily with the Spey group practicing and trying new lines and new rods.

I would buy one of these special reels if you are Spey fishing or are thinking about trying it.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks for the kind words Bill. I agree that these reels are awesome and are getting harder to find. You are right that they will only continue to climb in value. If I was staying in the PNW, I'd probably hang onto these. I don't imagine these will see a lot of use in Florida, so they are looking for some new owners.

We moved from California to Sebastian, Florida, mostly to be near our daughter who helps us in our "Golden years".

I gave my new amazing Redington #3 line Switch rod outfit to one of my "sons" who worked at our fly shop.

I doubt I will be fishing anywhere but in Florida which is pretty fantastic.

We have wonderful LMB and Panfish plus amazing brackish/inshore fishing.

Here I use #6, 7 and 8 weight single-hand outfits with only floating lines.

What city will you be near in FL?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

We came very close to buying a piece of property just below Marathon when we had our trailer. It had power and water right there and we thought if a hurricane was coming our way we could just pick up and head to the mainland. I know that's easier said than done on that two lane highway, but that was our thinking.

Then, like you, we got to thinking about our kids being back here and gave up the idea. Sugar Barge was our home for several seasons till we bought our place in Yuba City.

I still think about Florida though. Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

I bought a place in Venice. It was tough to choose where to go when Florida has such a variety of fishing all over. I imagine that I will spend most of my time off the beaten path somewhere in the Everglades. I can't wait to target Peacock bass. That's my main interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyguy88 View Post
    I bought a place in Venice. It was tough to choose where to go when Florida has such a variety of fishing all over. I imagine that I will spend most of my time off the beaten path somewhere in the Everglades. I can't wait to target Peacock bass. That's my main interest.
    You picked a very good place to be in Florida, a little further south than us on the Gulf side.

There is a really good fly shop, "239 Flies", 1.5 hrs south of you in Bonita Springs, FL.

https://239flies.com/

You can watch hundreds of fun YouTube videos on the Peacock bass in Southern Florida.

They are getting them near 10# now which is a scary, powerful size exotic tropical fish.

It is only 1.5 hrs south down to Naples and Hwy 90, the famous Tamiami Trail, headed over to Miami.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX-4lMDlekw
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

It seems like it is hard to pick a bad spot to live in Florida. Good fishing seems to be everywhere. If I had it my way, I'd probably live in Everglades City. Thanks for the recommendation of 239 flies. I will have to check them out.

Living in FL, having something like a 4x4 pickup with a pop-up camper and a boat in tow might be good for exploring Florida?

FL has water everywhere and it all has some kind of fish in it.

I am lucky to have a few good fishing partners near me who also have boats.

FL has year-round fishing but everything has its timing.

LMB is in the Winter/Spring but they eat year-round. Feb/April are very good months.

In FL in the winter we have super weather for humans for 6 months.......less bugs, less heat and less humidity.

Spring and Fall are very popular for fishing in the tropics for inshore/brackish waters.

July/Aug/Sept would be a good time to go North......because it is super hot and humid, day and night with bugs.

But the fishing is very good for baby Tarpon mid-summer.

Most go out real early and quit by 10am and then go out at night, 9pm till ?????

Fishing under the dock lights for everything is very visual and exciting.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Bumping this up. If you don't love the price, feel free to shoot me a message. Doesn't hurt to inquire, worst I will say is no thank you.