Thread: Dave Whitlock Passed Away

Default Dave Whitlock Passed Away

It's was posted on FB by Emily Whitlock that Dave had a massive stroke while working on his boat yesterday. I met Dave in my early years at a lot of fly fishing shows around the country. He did a colored pencil drawing on my Fire Tiger crank bait pattern and I also purchased one of his famous bass drawings.
    I also remember talking with Dave about carp fishing. Back then not too much was said about carp fishing, and he said it didn't matter, that meant more carp for us too catch.
    He was a great gentleman and a asset to the fly fishing industry
    I'll miss him
    Jay Murakoshi

https://www.facebook.com/search/post...ishing%20guide

Umpqua Feather Merchants sent Dave Whitlock to our fly shop probably 40 years ago.

He was one of the best promoters of our wonderful sport of fly fishing.

Dave was an author, fine artists, fly developers, fly tier, and did some great videos.

All Baby Bombers who fly fished knew who Dave Whitlock was.

He live on the White River in Arkansas, famous for huge Brown trout.

Do yourself a favor and see what you can find out about Dave on the Internet.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Most of the younger fly fishermen have no idea what a huge superstar Dave Whitlock was in the fly fishing world back in the day.

I met Dave on several occasions when we were both doing fly fishing shows pitching our respective products. At an Umpqua Feather Merchants event held in Glenwood Springs CO held for signature tyers, I had a chance to chat with him for some time. First of all he was a very gracious individual despite his "Guru" status at the time. I asked him how he got into the industry and his reply was that from a young age he had always wanted to be a "professional fly fisherman." Interestingly we never did discuss anything about fly fishing. Most of the conversation was about duck hunting.