Thread: Epic 77th Birthday Trip

Default Epic 77th Birthday Trip

Here are a couple of pictures of my 77th birthday trip. I received a call from my fishing partner, Vince, that the river had a stout run of fresh King Salmon. In 8 days we landed somewhat north of 60 fresh King Salmon.

in a recent post from Bill he asked what happened to all the tidewater fly fisherman. The simple answer is that there are damn few of us left above ground. With the low water closures few opportunities exist, these days, to make it attractive to young guys. This year marks the 50th year I have fished for King Salmon with the fly. I was lucky to land a 50 pound salmon as my first it "ruined me for life" LOL. I lived the majority, of my life, on the Mendocino Coast, caught my first Steelhead in 1949 at age 4. I have been fortunate to fish 100 plus days a year for my entire life.

ATTACH=CONFIG]18496[/ATTACH]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221103_163701 (1).jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	5.00 MB 
ID:	18497
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221101_160632.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	4.74 MB 
ID:	18496  

Happy Birthday and congrats on your birthday presents! Sounds like great fishing.

Noyo55, as you know the Great Generation fished the Coast the most and then a handful of Baby Boomers like you.

My friend, Al Perryman, fished the Coast with some of the old timers. He is a Baby Boomer and a great fly fisher.

I was lucky to be taken to the North Coast of California by old timers when I was young (born 3/25/45).

Sense the drought of the late 1970s the North Coast has never been the same.

I fished the tide water of San Lorenzo, Russian, Gualala, Garcia, Eel, Van Duzen, Mad, Redwood Creek, Silettes, Necanicam, Nestucca

, Humptulips and Tsiu rivers but no where near the amount of days you did.

You have been very blessed to see what you did during your lifetime in the Pacific Tide Water.

"Most" all of the old guys in the movie, "Rivers of a Lost Coast", are gone now but they had wonderful hunting and fishing.

After you catch fresh Steelhead and fresh King and Silver salmon in the Tidewater you will never be the same.

**Young adventurous fly fishers could catch some nice fish in the Tidewater if they wanted to put a lot of time and effort into it.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Inspiring post! Hope to be out there at 77 myself.

Man, I hope to be around at 77, let alone fishing! Sounds and looks like an awesome birthday, congratulations!

Wow! Congrats! I’ve gotta ask, based on a) a spectacular chrome king and b) actual rain, is that in CA? Oh, and a belated happy birthday!