Thread: 80lb ahi on a popper

Default 80lb ahi on a popper

https://imgur.com/a/mB2xTJT

Got this 80lb Yellowfin tuna on a blue Rainy's 5/0 popper on my Shimano Trevalla spin rod with 50lb Power Pro and 60lb fluro leader. It hit and the explosion looked like god dropped a bowling ball from heaven. Then it went down and drained half my spool. Got it to the boat in an hour and then it circled under the boat for another half hour. Finally got it gaffed and in the boat. My arms are still sore. I did save my back, so that is good. If it had been on my 12wt I would still be fighting it. Weather in Hawaii is unreal, like summer never ended.
    Don Memmer

Thumbs up 80# tuna!!!!

WOW!! That's fish was a load on any outfit. On a popper, the strike must've really been exciting.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Great catch and I love you man but this is a fly fishing forum....

My ultimate goat is a big yellow fin on the fly. So far my largest is 53 pounds on a sea habit white knight on a TFO Axiom II 10 wt. back in 2019 with Jose.
    I might have to use my Hawaiian air miles and take a trip to the islands, my old stomping grounds
    Jay Murakoshi