Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Really Good Bamboo Story

Thumbs up A Really Good Bamboo Story

One of my dearest old friends (Dave Helzer) was a coffee drinker to the max. He drank coffee morning, noon, and night, and every chance he had in between. He worked at Mare Is. and would often stop on his way to work and get gas and more coffee.

He and I would often go fly fishing for shad or stripers when I lived in Napa. His grandfather was also a great flyfisher and used to fish the southern sierras around Yosemite and Mammoth Lake and all that area. One of grandfather's best friends was Ancil Adams who also fly fished as well and took lots of photos of that area. Everything was bamboo back in the day, and several of Ancil Adams bamboo rods got handed down to Dave's grandfather, as they were really good friends.

Well, as time went on grandpa was getting too old to fish anymore and gave Dave all of his split bamboo fly rods including a few of Ancil Adams which were given to him. He died shortly thereafter.

One day Dave came down to our house and said he had a present for me,,, one of his grandpa's fly rods. He knew I'd appreciate it and help him remember his grandpa whenever we talked fishing.

Dave built a nice locker out in his garage and stored all of his rods there, including all of his bamboo.

One morning on his way to work Dave stopped in his garage to top off his coffee mug and left. A few hours went by and the coffee pot out in the garage went dry setting the garage on fire. The fire department came but all was too late. The entire garage and part of the house were nothing but ashes.

Dave was totally devastated. All of those beautiful bamboo fly rods of his grandfather were gone. He only had the memories of fishing with his grandpa and now the rods were gone that he so dearly cherished.

About a month or so goes by and I talk with my wife about how sad Dave is losing the memories of his grandfather in the burn.

Later that day we took the rod that Dave had given to me down to his house and returned it to him. I told him that this rod would mean a lot more to him than just hanging in my den. He broke down in tears and swore he'd put it someplace special if I ever wanted it back. A true friend.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Great story Tony. Also shows how sharing with a friend pays off.

Indeed, a good story. And Tony, you're a saint!

Best to all,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

Only YOU Tony! I know you would.
    ...lee s.

It is a small world...........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ansel.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	18431

I looked all over for a photo of Ansel Adams fly fishing but only found one of his photos of someone else?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

That may have been a photo of Dave's grandpa ?
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

OMG....I did not think of that.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I’d be very curious to hear what sort of rods Ansel Adams fished??!
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Buzolich View Post
    One of my dearest old friends (Dave Helzer) was a coffee drinker to the max. He drank coffee morning, noon, and night, and every chance he had in between. He worked at Mare Is. and would often stop on his way to work and get gas and more coffee.

He and I would often go fly fishing for shad or stripers when I lived in Napa. His grandfather was also a great flyfisher and used to fish the southern sierras around Yosemite and Mammoth Lake and all that area. One of grandfather's best friends was Ancil Adams who also fly fished as well and took lots of photos of that area. Everything was bamboo back in the day, and several of Ancil Adams bamboo rods got handed down to Dave's grandfather, as they were really good friends.

Well, as time went on grandpa was getting too old to fish anymore and gave Dave all of his split bamboo fly rods including a few of Ancil Adams which were given to him. He died shortly thereafter.

One day Dave came down to our house and said he had a present for me,,, one of his grandpa's fly rods. He knew I'd appreciate it and help him remember his grandpa whenever we talked fishing.

Dave built a nice locker out in his garage and stored all of his rods there, including all of his bamboo.

One morning on his way to work Dave stopped in his garage to top off his coffee mug and left. A few hours went by and the coffee pot out in the garage went dry setting the garage on fire. The fire department came but all was too late. The entire garage and part of the house were nothing but ashes.

Dave was totally devastated. All of those beautiful bamboo fly rods of his grandfather were gone. He only had the memories of fishing with his grandpa and now the rods were gone that he so dearly cherished.

About a month or so goes by and I talk with my wife about how sad Dave is losing the memories of his grandfather in the burn.

Later that day we took the rod that Dave had given to me down to his house and returned it to him. I told him that this rod would mean a lot more to him than just hanging in my den. He broke down in tears and swore he'd put it someplace special if I ever wanted it back. A true friend.
    Tony

Great story Tony thanks for sharing it.

My dad did a stint at Mare Island up till -48 and he was a serious coffee drinker- morning noon and night. Wonder if that was a navy thing?

Thumbs up Great Story!!

Tony,.... That is a great story!! Mr T, you may be right about the coffee thing. I didn't start drinking coffee seriously, until my stint in the Navy. Every office/shop had a coffee maker in it and was used 24/7 by the all night shifts.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown