Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting that bamboo itch

In my ~50 years in the tackle business I had hundreds of folks bring in old split cane fly rods.

They had inherited them or bought them at a flea market or garage sale and wanted to know more about them.

90% were cheap junk, beat up, broken or just worn out.

Some came in a wooden box from Japan after World War II.

Other were common brands that came in 9' and 3 pieces with an extra tip.

Many had the tip sections, both, broken off shorter than original, less than 36".

Once and a while someone brought in a nice clean EC Powel split cane fly rod that was really something.

Jack Parker, fine guy, is a local (Roseville?) expert on split cane fly rods.

Jim Victorine has been working on split cane rods for decades up in Loomis, CA. 916/652-0408

Here is the sad part of the story:

Before Spey fishing became popular on the West Coast, over my 50 years, people brought in huge split cane Spey rods.

Some had inherited them from a relative in Europe or got them from grand parents?

They were very heavy and long and we told them that they could use them for "tomato stakes".

Most had huge old Hardy fly reels with old lines on them so we told them to use them for a "boat anchor".

This was a huge mistake on our part..........$$$$$$$$$
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Give Larry at High Sierra Rod company a call- http://www.highsierrarods.com/index.html. Nice guy, very passionate about bamboo and located in the Sierra Foothills.

Pm sent.. I've wanted to put together a bamboo day on the AR for a long time. Any other bamboo aficionado's send me a pm and we'll try to put a day together.

Take Ryan up on his offer. But most dealers in cane offer a return period if you aren’t satisfied Bob Selb and the already mentioned Jim Adams would both be worth talking to. Steve Cambell at FE Thomas rod co. can also offer some input and has rods available. I’ve dealt with all of them and never a complaint.
    If you buy an Orvis or an FE Thomas you will have good backup for repairs for years to come.
    Caution!!! Can be addicting.
    Last edited by Paul B.; 10-20-2022 at 07:26 PM.