Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting that bamboo itch

Default Getting that bamboo itch

Every so often I get that itch to pick up some bamboo. I have not jumped because I just don't know if I'd like the rod without casting it.
    Anyone around Sac that has a bamboo collection willing to meet up on the American river to do some test casting with me? Could bring some Glass to try and a cold six pack.

Russell

This group might be worth connecting with: https://www.washingtonflyfishing.com...hering.163346/

One time I was considering getting a selection of different brands of split cane little fly rods to sell in the shop.

Back then I was a dealer for Scott, Powell, Winston, T&T, and Orvis that all had split cane rods.

I talked to all of their split cane folks and they all told me their top seller was a 7'6" #4 line in 2 piece.

It would take many months to acquire them all and get a fancy custom wood display case built for them.

Sadly I never pulled the trigger on that one. I do think it would have been good for the shop.

Some shops did a good job with split cane rods, new and used.

Andy Puyans at Creative Sports in Walnut Creek was doing a great job with split cane.

Jim Adams of Adams Angling in Berkeley bought and sold his share of split cane rods over the past decades.

I too would want to cast one before I bought it.

It is storied that the famous Nor Cal split cane genius EC Powell use to take a selection of finished split cane fly rods and meet up with prospective buyers so he could cast the bunch and pick a winner.

His split cane fly rods were semi-hollow and filled with cedar.

EC Powell was famous for inventing machinery to make split cane blanks.

He also had some of the best spilt cane distance casting fly rods.

Naturally his rods were very popular for Steelhead and Atlantic salmon fly fishing.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I gave up on Washingtonflyfishing when the sight sold. I am from Washington and make it back up there every year but most of the posters there are nowhere near Sacramento to meat up and do some casting.

RSK,
    Poppy at Red Shed Fly Shop (Idaho) is crafting some bamboo rods.
    You might want to check him out. He's quite the man.
    Best to you,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

I was just in visiting Poppy last year at this time. Thanks for letting me know about his bamboo rods, I'm sure he would send one for me to try out. He is that way.
    He actually lived in Auburn as a kid up by Wise forbay where I work quite often. I forget how long he lived there but he had some stories for me from the area. Much like the stories Bill is sharing with everyone lately.

Russell

About 11 yrs ago I was gifted a Orvis Madison 5wt 7'-6" bamboo rod. It's amazing. Soon after though my wife decided to confiscate it for her own use when we fish. I have a few Winston Wt rods that come close but are just not the same, so I told myself it's time for my own Bamboo rod.

I thought I knew what company I was going to purchase from until I started doing some research.

At the end of August, we began a several week trip traveling to see friends and to do some fishing. One of the places we ended up in was Butte Montana. Just so happens that there is a legend of Bamboo rods who has a small shop in Butte. Glenn Brackett at Sweetgrass Rods. I made an appointment with Glenn and spent about two hours with him. I can't say enough about how great that experience was. If you get a chance, I would highly recommend talking to him about a rod.

Another place I found a lot of useful information about Bamboo rods was The Classic Fly Rod Forum.

I hear master custom rod builder Gary Anderson, Anderson Custom Rods, up in southern Oregon is building split cane two handed fly rods now.

https://www.andersoncustomrods.com/
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

seem to be striking out here on the share your bamboo thing.
    If anyone is interested in trying some glass, fenwick, steffen, fisher, SA, phillipson, or some 90's classic graphinte I could meet up at sailor bar to have a couple drinks and do some casting.

Russell

It’s a few months yet, but the Santa Rosa decoy and tackle show happens in March. There will be lots of vintage bamboo rods there. Most vendors are happy to let you cast some rods. I know I am and I’ll be there.

Here is a link to the show website - 2023 dates are already posted.
    https://www.redsshow.com/
    Last edited by Rich Morrison; 10-17-2022 at 01:47 PM.
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com