Thread: Long shot - in need of Powell seats

Default Long shot - in need of Powell seats

I know it’s a long shot - but I’m in need of Powell reel seats. I was lucky enough to grab 20 NOS Powell graphite blanks and I’m going to have them built out. Just a total treasure trove. Thanks to Jim I’ve got all the original thread, specs, decals to do them right. But I don’t have enough seats. I suppose if anyone has old Powell tubes that would be of interest too. Just figured I’d ask. Thanks.
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Rich - I used Powell reel seats on my salt water rods. After Pres died, a fellow named Larry was making them (I'm sorry, I don't recall his last name, but he worked at Chico Fly Shop for a spell). I don't know if Larry is still in the rod building business but he was the last source I knew of for those reel seats.

Quote Originally Posted by DLJeff View Post
    Rich - I used Powell reel seats on my salt water rods. After Pres died, a fellow named Larry was making them (I'm sorry, I don't recall his last name, but he worked at Chico Fly Shop for a spell). I don't know if Larry is still in the rod building business but he was the last source I knew of for those reel seats.
    Good ol’ Lawrence!! Larry Bluck. His source was the family - I’m talking to them as well but as things often are with family its complicated. But thanks very much!
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    605-858-0800
    www.classicpowellrod.com

That's him. Seemed like a good guy. But I've lost contact with him so don't know if he's still in the business or not. Good luck finding some authentic Powell reel seats.

If you want to sell one of the blanks, I would love to have one. My first graphite was a Chico Powell I bought in 1980....still have it

Quote Originally Posted by DLJeff View Post
    That's him. Seemed like a good guy. But I've lost contact with him so don't know if he's still in the business or not. Good luck finding some authentic Powell reel seats.
    Chico Fly shop closed up a number of years ago. Larry is a manager at Sportsman’s Warehouse in Chico. He’s doing fine.

Rich Morrison
    605-858-0800
    www.classicpowellrod.com

Thanks for the update on Larry. Glad he landed on his feet and is doing good. Did you connect on some reel seats?

No seats yet. Thanks for checking!

Rich Morrison
    605-858-0800
    www.classicpowellrod.com