Thread: Euro nymphing on the Lower Yuba?

Default Euro nymphing on the Lower Yuba?

Does anyone do it?

Does it work better (i.e. more fish) than indicator nymphing? I'm pretty sure it does, but is it better even on a larger river like the Yuba?

I'm considering getting into Euro. I've already built a mono leader system, and I'll buy a dedicated Euro rod, IF I think I'll get good use out it.

I've watched Euro Nymphing YouTube videos, and some of the rivers look substantial, but many are smaller than the Yuba.

The Yuba is where I do the majority of my river/stream trout fishing, so I want to be confident I'll put the Euro gear to good , frequent use.

Please no guesses - I'm hoping for replies with actual experience, using Euro, on the Lower Yuba (or similar sized rivers).

Thanks,

Pete

I like my euro rod on the Pit and Upper Sac and water where you're trying to get your bugs down fast behind a rock, not so much on the Lower Yuba where you need to cover more water. I either swing or huck a bobber with a big mend.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

I have found the same true. I prefer euro on the smaller waters or pockety spots with big boulders, but on the Yuba its gets tiring making tiny drifts on the big runs.

I've seen many people fish it successfully with different tight line techniques. I for one adore bobbers of all shapes and sizes, so will continue to stare at bobbers on the yuba, but you do you!

I was just playing with Euro nymphing there yesterday. I feel like the Yuba before it changed in 2017 was much better for Euro nymphing, more pocket water, nooks, crannies, etc especially above the bridge. A lot of the river is flatter now and I just didn't feel like I was doing a good enough job covering water the same way I would with the indi. I do take the indi off in certain spots but for the most part I have it on.
    Keep Calm and Fly Fish
    https://keepcalmandflyfish.com/