Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pit River PGE Lake Britton Dam Road Closure

I don’t know much about the isonychia but I can say “that that” always freaks me out when I write it. Sometimes I try to work around it but sometimes I just leave it. I see it in newspapers sometimes so I think it is okay. I don’t ever recall seeing it in a book so my guess is authors make an effort to avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    We use to just wet wade it "back in the day" because it was not very cold.

Yes, and enjoyed it.

"Back in the day", we seemed to do the best end of May and early June. YMMV

I've never done as well on the Pit since they raised the flows.

I have been fishing the Pit in the fall for almost 20 years and never once saw an Isonychia. We did hit a nice hatch deep in the canyon stretch of MFFR years ago. My first encounter was on New York's Au Sable as a kid. The nymphs are pretty active, almost like minnows and have a white pinstripe down their "spine."

Wanted to give an update.

First off the flows that I was seeing online (390 @ Pit 4) were not what they were when I arrived. If I had to guess it was 450-500. Water was flowing over a rock I used to stand on and many places it was several feet deep right when you stepped into the water.

From guys I spoke with, replies were I got 20 to I got zip. Unfortunately I was on the zip end. The weather was great and it was nice to be back at the Pit. Hadn't been since 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    I think the Isonychia may flies like a little warmer water like in the old low flow years on the Pit river.

I think I saw an Isonychia on Battle Creek.

They are big like a true Green Drake, maybe size 8 and are a fall emerger.

Where else do you think you have seen any Isonychia mayflies in California?
    Isonychia are abundant on stretches of of the Yuba and the Feather (not disclosing exactly where). It remans a fantastic hatch that coincides with Paraleptophleba and often October caddis. They were out today in robust numbers and the trout were eager to eat them.