Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The old American River Closure and Opener dates

Way to many people on the A now fishing for salmon and steelhead. The foreign people are the worst part about all of this, they don’t follow regs, poach and leave shit everywhere! It’s quite frustrating growing up on this river and watching it all go down the crapper. I was on a bike ride on Monday and there were 2 foreigners fishing from the shore where the old gates used to go across below Hazel. There is one group of foreigners in particular that over harvest all day long, I’ve witnessed them taking salmon up to their vehicles and put them in the trunk of their car and come down for more. We need way more policing of this river. Good luck Brian, wish I could remember the old regs. It’s called these things we chat on (internet) hasn’t helped our fisheries either. Thanks
    Last edited by Mark Kranhold; 09-21-2022 at 10:55 PM.

In the early 1960s there was no "Howe Avenue Bridge" either.

You could drive into the Watt Avenue Bridge access on the south side of the river and drive on the levee down to Howe Avenue.

Back then you could cross over the lower American river at Watt on a concrete "Low Water Bridge".

It was immediately above the upstream/ north bound bridge on the north side channel.

The man who owned the canoe rental company at that time up at Sunrise? tried to get an oar that went under that bridge and drown.

I thought the old salmon/steelhead closure was November 15 to December 31 from the cable crossing the river at the Nimbus

hatchery down to the powerlines that cross the river at Ancil Hoffman Park?

The river was open back then from the cable crossing the river at the hatchery upstream to the face of the Nimbus dam?

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Obtaining Archived Regs/Laws

Start with a request to DFW and/or F&G commission. My guess is, staff should have no problem supplying this information if it is available. They may, however, ask you to submit a public records act request to either the respective public information of legal division. The reason for doing this isn't a bureaucratic hurdle, but a formal way to help them document activities.

If this is unsuccessful, try using the California State Library. Staff there are very helpful and are a tremendous resource. I know they archive past California state statutes, but I'm not certain about regulations.

Thanks for all the insight everyone
    It's greatly appreciated.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Hey Brian,

My insight only goes back to 1985, but the regs have always been the same (except for the late ‘90’s) as long as I’ve been here. The power lines at Ancil Hoffman upstream closed 11-1 to 1-1. Of course, it also used to be open above Hazel. Beyond that, you’ll need to ask the (even) old (er) guys…

Being one of those old (er) guys, I seem to remember that there was a closure of the upper river in February. Speaking with one of my fellow experienced friends who now lives in Oregon, he remembers the closure starting February 15th for a year or so and then being changed to February 1st. The time period was the mid sixties. Now it’s time for those with the technology to research the facts. I’m sure it couldn’t have been the “herbs” clouding our memories.

I have a copy of the California 1960 Sport Fishing Regulations. Section 25.39 American Salmon Spawning Area. The American River from the YMCA quonset hut, about one mile downstream from the gate at the end of Arden Way to Nimbus Dam is a salmon spawning area closed to all fishing from October 16 to January 31.

Sections25.38, 25.39 and section 25.40 all deal with the American River

So the spawning area was from approximately the upper part of Gristmill up to the Dam. That is a significant change. About 10 river miles for spawning habitat and 12 miles for fishing.

My old friends who are all gone now said that before the dames were on the American river they fished

for salmon right where they put those two lakes, Folsom and Natomas.

So basically they covered that best part of the river with water.

Besides stopping the fish from getting upstream to spawn, the dams also stop the flow of rocks and gravel for spawning.

I always heard King salmon like larger rocks than Steelhead.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    My old friends who are all gone now said that before the dames were on the American river they fished

for salmon right where they put those two lakes, Folsom and Natomas.

So basically they covered that best part of the river with water.

Besides stopping the fish from getting upstream to spawn, the dams also stop the flow of rocks and gravel for spawning.

I always heard King salmon like larger rocks than Steelhead.
    Helped film a commercial up in Coloma years ago. The old timer that owned the property remembered catching salmon up there on the south fork as a child on the family farm property. Love fighting big fish in skinny waters.