Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The old American River Closure and Opener dates

Hi Brian:
    The guy to talk to is Denis Lee who is a retired fisheries biologist with the CDFW and authored two books
    on Steelhead. I'm sure you can get his contact information by Googling him.

It's great to see someone such as yourself taking the time to contribute your valued opinion to the CDFW
    about protecting our fisheries resources. Wish more individuals would do that. I'm not sure whether or not you are aware of this but our winter Steelhead are an introduced sub species that did not exist in the L American River prior to the construction of the dams. The hatchery was unsuccessful in spawning the indigenous fish that incidentally were spring spawners rather than winter spawners as are the current strain. The current strain was imported from the Eel River (and others) and are much larger than the indigenous fish they replaced. The Eel River fish were introduced for the purpose of providing recreation for fishermen and not necessarily for the purpose of attempting to re-stablish wild fish in the L AR. If the winter months were closed to fishing then the CDFW would have no reason to continue their Steelhead spawning program. Just a thought

Thanks Greg

Sadly the AR hatchery had a very successful introduction of the Sac Valley steelhead from the Coleman hatchery. As close to what was originally on the AR as you could get. A huge number of these fish returned more than ever expected to the AR 2 years later and instead of producing more due to the success, they decided to pull the, they were diseased and killed all that came through the hatchery. They did this despite the Coleman hatchery had no issues the year they were introduced those fish on the AR or 2yrs later. You know, God forbid an experiment actually worked and showed promise, when it does, gotta make an excuse and kill the project.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Why ? If the quotas are sufficient for the hatchery not necessary . If that that is a problem make it no kill in the upper areas . Even on hatchery fish if needed and or once quotas are reached . open it up . It's already stupid anyway. Promote catch a release even if it is not mandated.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Clemens View Post
    Thanks Greg

Sadly the AR hatchery had a very successful introduction of the Sac Valley steelhead from the Coleman hatchery. As close to what was originally on the AR as you could get. A huge number of these fish returned more than ever expected to the AR 2 years later and instead of producing more due to the success, they decided to pull the, they were diseased and killed all that came through the hatchery. They did this despite the Coleman hatchery had no issues the year they were introduced those fish on the AR or 2yrs later. You know, God forbid an experiment actually worked and showed promise, when it does, gotta make an excuse and kill the project.
    Man, I remember those Coleman fish. There was a 2 year period where those fish would come in late August, early September, in really good numbers. Had many excellent days swinging and wet wading for those fish. I recall they were excellent fighters too.