Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The old American River Closure and Opener dates

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The old American River Closure and Opener dates

Im working on a few changes that I will be submitting to DFG with the help of NCGASA in regards to our current closure and openers on some of our Sac Valley Rivers. What I am trying to find is what the old open and closures where on the American River a long time ago before the current Nov 1 closure and Jan 1 opener.

Any information would be greatly appreciate.

Please keep an eye or ear open for these requested changes. Rivers include American, Yuba and Feather. My request WILL NOT keep these rivers closed for longer, I want to keep the current fishable days open, and maybe on certain rivers add a few more days or more areas to fish. But with our salmon entering out systems later and later each and every year, we need to allow these fish to spawn in peace, spawn successfully and allow these eggs a chance to hatch and alevins to wiggle out of the rocks before being crushed by hundreds if not 1000s of feet on a daily/weekly basis.

I have some great requests that Im putting together, and hoping with the help of NCGASA we can get some if not all these requests put in place. These fish need as much help as we can give them, and its up to us to give them a fighting chance.

Thank you in advance
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

As a starter closing sailor bar to fishing from January 1st to April 1st would greatly improved steelhead spawning. There are plenty of river miles to target steelhead.

Mogaru, thank you for your input. Unfortunately there are many factors, dates, areas of closures and possible new regs that I've pondered over meticulously for several months now. Unfortunately any regulation change to take away fishing days or available water will not happen as dfg doesn't want to do that. The key there is taking away fishing days and fishable water, this is what I'm having to work around and I believe I have some viable and doable changes. Unfortunately your idea takes away more fishing days than the current closure as well as fishable water, as much as I would love to present this to DFG, it will get shot down immediately. I do appreciate your input, but there is a fine line that I have to walk across to make these changes even a possibility.

The reason for this post is to figure out what the old closure was. I have been told it use to be closed till March 1st. That in itself can be used in making my presentation to DFG more credible, cuz at one point when we had more fish in the AR we kept that upper river closed till then. This is what I am trying to verify. I do know it was closed from 94 to 98 due to the lack of fish numbers, but the old closure is what I'm looking for.

Thanks again for your input.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Clemens View Post
    Mogaru, thank you for your input. Unfortunately there are many factors, dates, areas of closures and possible new regs that I've pondered over meticulously for several months now. Unfortunately any regulation change to take away fishing days or available water will not happen as dfg doesn't want to do that. The key there is taking away fishing days and fishable water, this is what I'm having to work around and I believe I have some viable and doable changes. Unfortunately your idea takes away more fishing days than the current closure as well as fishable water, as much as I would love to present this to DFG, it will get shot down immediately. I do appreciate your input, but there is a fine line that I have to walk across to make these changes even a possibility.

The reason for this post is to figure out what the old closure was. I have been told it use to be closed till March 1st. That in itself can be used in making my presentation to DFG more credible, cuz at one point when we had more fish in the AR we kept that upper river closed till then. This is what I am trying to verify. I do know it was closed from 94 to 98 due to the lack of fish numbers, but the old closure is what I'm looking for.

Thanks again for your input.
    Up until about 3 years ago or so, the upper area above the Hazel Ave bridge was open to the dam. The wall area was often fished and it greatly reduced the pressure of fishermen below. I would love to see it opened back up and provide more room for throwing flies down below with less fishermen. Just my opinion on the issues the closure caused these past few years.

Question Old Closure....

Brian,.... If you haven't done so already, check CA-DFW's archives. There must be one somewhere and it should include a record of applicable laws/regs in force at any point in time. Good luck....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian, interesting, I didn't know there was an archive, I'll take a look. Thanks for the info.

Salmon River, unfortunately opening that up would cause more snagged and illegally kept fish like it was when it was open, as well as trash and homeless. Now that the fish ladders goes up into the basin it will never reopen. Personally I don't think closing that upper section, move the same amount of anglers down river. Those that fished up there did so due to stacked up fish and easily flossed. No other place an the American is like that, where salmon hold that thick.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    www.norcalflyguides.com

~ Sue Kreutzer

Why ? If the quotas are sufficient for the hatchery not necessary . If that that is a problem make it no kill in the upper areas . Even on hatchery fish if needed and or once quotas are reached . open it up . It's already stupid anyway. Promote catch a release even if it is not mandated.

Default Obtaining Archived Regs/Laws

Start with a request to DFW and/or F&G commission. My guess is, staff should have no problem supplying this information if it is available. They may, however, ask you to submit a public records act request to either the respective public information of legal division. The reason for doing this isn't a bureaucratic hurdle, but a formal way to help them document activities.

If this is unsuccessful, try using the California State Library. Staff there are very helpful and are a tremendous resource. I know they archive past California state statutes, but I'm not certain about regulations.

Thanks for all the insight everyone
    It's greatly appreciated.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    www.norcalflyguides.com

~ Sue Kreutzer

Hey Brian,

My insight only goes back to 1985, but the regs have always been the same (except for the late ‘90’s) as long as I’ve been here. The power lines at Ancil Hoffman upstream closed 11-1 to 1-1. Of course, it also used to be open above Hazel. Beyond that, you’ll need to ask the (even) old (er) guys…