Thread: Imitating the caddis

Default Imitating the caddis

Imitating the caddis larva on the Lower Kings. I was bug hunting a few days ago. I kept taking a dip in the river while wading of those slippery, snotty rocks that inhabit the river. the felt soles weren't the problem, it was my balance and vertigo. I'm definitely not wading big rivers anymore.
    Here's a green caddis that was on a rock so I tried to imitate the insect. Going to use a dry/nymph rig this week. There are a few big brood stock planters in the river, just have to find them
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5087.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	18343   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5088.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	276.1 KB 
ID:	18342  
    Jay Murakoshi

Thumbs up Green Caddis....

Those'll fish nicely. What size are they (16 or 1??
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

That is supposed to be the heartiest aquatic bug in the Valley rivers.

When biologists do bug samples they are looking for a lot of diversity.

The lower Yuba river must be pretty clean because it has caddis, mayflies and stoneflies too.

That same caddis is in the American and Feather rivers, in quantities.

They are probably in all the Valley rivers.

The old Orvis Rep, ED Schroder, used to tell us about the "hay days" of the Kings River trout fishery maybe 50 years ago?

Lots of nice wild Rainbow trout and tons of caddis.

Someone down there came up with the Kings River Caddis dry fly.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

The lower Kings river is now all planted fish, every now and then you might get a wild one but very seldom. The C&R section is a joke. No patrolling or very little but F&G has a big area to cover so I don't blame them. You see a lot of bait containers, salmon egg and power bait jars laying around so you know there not following the regs.

I drive there 3 to 4 days a week, mainly during the middle of the week. Weekends are packed with people who party. Speaking of people partying - there can be a trash can 2' away and they leave their crap next to the can. Too damn lazy to put it where it belongs. This happens everywhere. The best place to fish is behind Avocado lake, in the C&R section.

The person who invented the Kings River Caddis was Buz Buszek, he developed the fly. He was the owner of Bus's Fly Shop located in Visalia.

I'm sure John Sherman knew him well, growing up in Visalia. I remember going to his shop that was in a small building where you had to walk sideways to see the materials. He had every thing.

Every now and then Schroder and I talk about the old days.

Fished the lower section of the river yesterday, very little water flowing now, since they cut back on the flows. I think it's around 400 cfs.
    Jay Murakoshi