Thread: Yvon Chouinard donates Patagonia to the Planet?

Default Yvon Chouinard donates Patagonia to the Planet?

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Chouinard Donation....

"No doubt you saw a headline somewhere this week praising Yvon Chouinard for forfeiting ownership of his company and giving away its profits to a "charity fighting climate change". There were no shortage of liberal "I told you so's" being passed around on social media, citing Chouinard as some type of living proof that capitalism is evil and that everything will eventually revert to a Marxist utopia where all profits are collectively shared for the greater good."

This article appears to be an example the media needing too negatively, smear a situation where a very large donation by a corporate entity to a non-profit to fight climate change in exchange for tax benefits is somehow seen as bad. The benefit to climate change science is downplayed while the fact that tax benefits (deductions) that were written into Law, encourages people to make donations to eligible entities. So, what's wrong here??.... I guess it's true, "no good deed goes unpunished."
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Thanks Darian......

Yvon Chouinard was really just a regular guy, a snow skiing, surfing, mountain climbing, fly fishing, mountain biking bum.

He wrote a book about ten years ago, "Let My People Fish". The first half is his story where a group of 'young athletic outdoor

enthusiast on a budget' had a work shop making cutting edge mountaineering equipment. It was a "lien to shed" on the back of an old

building where they all took turns building the best crampons and pitons. It was piece work were you got paid for each piece

completed. He and friends would work there for long enough to save up some money and then quit and go off doing one of their favor

outdoor sports until the money ran out. This was right after World War II so they had lots of surplus military camping equipment. When

their old military sleeping bags got to smelly they through them on the fire.

I think somehow Yvon picked some incredibly talented people to run his company, Patagonia.

You would enjoy buying one of his books used online and reading the first part.

I was fortunate to be able to go on the special "Sage Week" to Christmas Island some years back.

Among the 30 or so special fly fishing folks was Yvon and Lefty who had fly fished all over the World together.

At dinner people sat around these two and they talked about going to New Guiney for huge fresh water perch/bass?

Yvon brought two surf board with him on that trip to Christmas Island.

He is a real nice, very tan, very muscular shorter man.

I think his parents would be very proud of him.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks Bill and Darian for your comments. Yvon Chouinard is a hero of mine.

Bill, I suspect that the PNG fish you mention is more than likely a Papuan Black Bass (lutjanus goldiei) ....mentioned by many as the hardest pulling fish pound for pound in the world.