Thread: A simple report and Jellyfish !!!!!

Default A simple report and Jellyfish !!!!!

With the cool down we've had here the last few days, and with the Mosquito fire smoke lifted, I grabbed my rod and spent a few hours fishing a local put-and-take pond here in Carson City yesterday.

The fishing was slow for the trout and O.K. for the little bluegill that inhabit said pond.

So, the above is my "simple report".

Now, here's the "Jellyfish" part......................

As I was moving from spot to spot on the shore, looking for some "catching action" I walked over and onto the floating dock to make a few casts from there.

In the water, only around dock, were HUNDREDS, IF NOT THOUSANDS, of "nickel sized" Jellyfish pulsating and
    moving about.
    The density was about 50-100 per square meter and about a foot deep.

I did a little searching on google last night and it appears that there is such a thing as fresh water Jellyfish and there are reported sightings from the east coast to the west coast, however I couldn't find any "sightings in northern Nevada".

So, given the above, how would I find the proper agency, or organization, or NDOW, to report this to, or is this something that I should just "turn a blind eye" to ????

Just wondering what you all would do and who you'd try and contact.

Stumped in Carson City .......................................... and "NO", I didn't have a peanut butter and jellyfish sandwich for the ride home last night......................

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 09-14-2022 at 11:14 AM.

Saw those in Lake Amador nearly 30 years ago

Any body else smoke anything or eat mushrooms and then see jellyfish in the freshwater?

Call the NF&W and get that areas biologist.

The Craspedacusta sowerbyi, freshwater jellyfish can be found all over the world in lakes and ponds. Because their size is relative small, and their body is transparent, these freshwater jellyfish go unnoticed and many still believe that there are no medusas that live in freshwater.

Freshwater Jellyfish - Care, Diet, Life Cycle, Breedinghttps://smartaquariumguide.com › freshwater-jellyfish

They had pictures too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Tie a jellyfish fly and the action might speed up!

NK

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Any body else smoke anything or eat mushrooms and then see jellyfish in the freshwater?

Call the NF&W and get that areas biologist.

Nope........... no shrooms, wacky tobaccy, or even frog licking happening here.

I did a little more looking around and apparently Lake Oroville was highlighted by KCRA news about a month ago regarding the fresh water Jellyfish !!!!!

Here's the news story:https://www.kcra.com/article/jellyfi...ought%20years.

Hummm ...................... my sanity is restored till next time ...................................

I'll make the call to NDOW tomorrow and give the area biologist the "heads up" ............................ we'll see what he/she has to say.

Bob