Thread: Report from 2 months in Sun Valley, ID

Default Report from 2 months in Sun Valley, ID

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9CAA887F-3026-4FBD-A8C4-41CB6519B96C.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	678.3 KB 
ID:	18295

Leave for San Rafael tmw after 2 months in Idaho.

Wish we could spend longer as had 6 months last year and 4 the year before but school starts for our 5 year old. Count our blessings we have been able to work remotely and enjoy our time.

For me it means fishing twice a week and getting to beautiful places.

Fishing has generally been slow in the area this year, my catches were 30-40% down on Silver Creek and hardly fished Big Wood due to lack of decent size fish. The drought has has searingly had a big impact, also possibly the cold winter.

Still managed my best SC fish, 22 inch brown and had some great days on the Big Lost. Hopefully the water and fish stocks will improve.

Hope everyone is getting out, sounds like Cal tout fishing has been good.

Steve
    Last edited by steveg137; 08-27-2022 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steveg137 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9CAA887F-3026-4FBD-A8C4-41CB6519B96C.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	678.3 KB 
ID:	18295

Still managed my best SC fish, 22 inch brown a
    Nice fish. 22 inches with 6 inches of jaw!

Yes huge jaw but he was also in good condition, not skinny.

Nice report and good to hear of another member who makes the journey. My wife and I had a good (albeit much shorter than you) summer in and out of Teton Valley Idaho where we have a second home. Tied on a dry fly when we arrived on July 2nd and never went subsurface through July 24 when we left. I don't even carry a nymph box anymore. Maybe throw a small streamer or two in a pack pocket just in case.

I went back out last week and same story, lots of nice cutties on dries with some solid August green drake hatches on the colder spring fed creeks and hoppers galore on most waters. Some streams have gotten too warm but many were still in good shape with temps in the 62-65 range.

Traveled from Jackson up to Fernie BC for some more dry fly action over LD weekend, got back to SMF on Tuesday at 9pm and it was still 106 at that hour. No thanks. Headed back to Teton Valley on September 24th for 10 days, we will see what later October brings with the weather out there and work obligations here. Sometimes late October can be the best dry fly fishing of the year with blanket BWO hatches on the South Fork.