Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Half-Pounders on the A

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    TMI, Bill....
    Can always count on Bill for a good laugh haha. Actually being a steelhead bum doesn't sound too bad and I'm already pretty close per Bill's directions without the Wife and Kids, just don't know about the eunuch part

If you are married or have girlfriend is very difficult to be a real "steelhead bum"........it may cost you both.

There were some good mayfly (creamy PMD) hatches at Watt in late August at about 7:30am. I live near there and walk the trail daily. Have been out of town the last 10 days so cannot report on current status.

Been out a few times the past few days, the water is cooler with the extreme heat being mostly gone. Managed to finally hook my first true half-pounder I've caught some trout on the American before but never one as chrome as this one. I've been seeing some nicer fish feeding in the lower light times as well with the temps dropping these past couple days. The fish are out there for sure!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HalfPounder1.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	319.3 KB 
ID:	18313

Good news JD.....

I always ask people to fish barbless and release all Half-pounders so they can be caught again by someone else.

Was just talking one the phone to a friend in the Elk Grove area and he said the weather is cooling off some now.

Looks like evening will be getting into the 50s soon. That should cool down the river.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Good news JD.....

I always ask people to fish barbless and release all Half-pounders so they can be caught again by someone else.

Was just talking one the phone to a friend in the Elk Grove area and he said the weather is cooling off some now.

Looks like evening will be getting into the 50s soon. That should cool down the river.
    Barbless is great for the angler too, when you get the occasional hook in the finger, it comes out much easier. In fact I had one of my flies dig into my finger a couple days ago while trying to untangle my line from a bush, thankfully the fly was debarbed.

That little hatchery guy was held no longer than 20-30 seconds, just enough for a quick picture and short rest before he was back into the water to get bigger! He was about 15 inches, but I've been seeing some 20-24 inchers in the same area for the past week or so now

Quote Originally Posted by JD2105 View Post
    Barbless is great for the angler too, when you get the occasional hook in the finger, it comes out much easier. In fact I had one of my flies dig into my finger a couple days ago while trying to untangle my line from a bush, thankfully the fly was debarbed.

That little hatchery guy was held no longer than 20-30 seconds, just enough for a quick picture and short rest before he was back into the water to get bigger! He was about 15 inches, but I've been seeing some 20-24 inchers in the same area for the past week or so now
    Couldn't agree more, I have very rarely lost a fish from a barbless hook. Like you said, far safer for me and the fish.

I not sure but I think most rivers in CA with a salmon run have a barbless rule?

Your flies hold up better too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

I was out the other evening and had the absolute pleasure of meeting Erik Gabele while we were in search of some fresh half pounders. I had hooked one that I lost earlier and did not get any more grabs, but Erik managed to hook this beautiful fresh chrome and wild fish! It absolutely one of the greatest fish I have ever had the opportunity to help land and see in person. I just thought you guys had to see this fish, my net's webbing measures up to 24 inches and this fish was nowhere close to fitting in my net, easily much bigger than 24-25 inches. It was an exciting evening for sure. I also saw some other very fresh fish jumping completely out of the water around sunset, the cooler water seems to be bringing more fish into the system. I'm glad I had the experience of seeing this fish caught!

Name:	Erik2.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	3.33 MB 
ID:	18339

Name:	Erik1.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	3.90 MB 
ID:	18340

OMG.....an absolutely beautiful wild fish.

Erik is a long time old buddy of ours. Could not happen to a better guy.

This is a lifetime fish on the lower American river in the Fall for many.

This makes me so darn happy..............

Fall Steelhead veteran Bruce Porter yesterday on the phone predicted that with these good flows and cooler water that we would drawn

in some nice Salmon and Steelhead. Big Stripers love Half-pounders too.

There are always a few 4 to 6 pound Steelhead here in the Fall.

Most Fall Half-pounders on the A average 16 inches, running 13 to 20 inches.

Around the 1970s when they had more budget for the Nimbus hatchery the C D F & G introduced some summer Steelhead from

Washington's Washougal river. These fish were pretty big, 8 to 12 pounds?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washougal_River

Snorkeling at the Falls in a deep hole.......lots of Summer Steelhead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcRFgib_abY

50 years later not sure if many are left.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958