Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Klamath Update

Default Pictures from Happy Camp 9/15/22

Here are a couple of pictures taken earlier today in the Happy Camp area. Up stream of Indian Creek. Looks pretty murky.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1663275933228blob.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	346.1 KB 
ID:	18337Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1663276002012blob.png 
Views:	138 
Size:	675.1 KB 
ID:	18338

I’ve seen more bears this season than in the past. Usually they seem to be in a hurry to get away from me and the dog, not this season. Heard a splash one evening sitting by the fire, got my light, straight across from camp on the other side was a bear, I guess the light was enough to make it get back on the bank and find another spot to cross.

Thanks for the update. I'd be interested in whatever report you get on the 17th. I'll send you a PM.

Anyone have a recent update on the water clarity around Happy Camp?

I took a look at the river yesterday (9/30) below Orleans and did not like what I saw. Murky brown. I spent a good 5 minutes contemplating suiting up and walking into to a favorite run but ultimately drove away. Some friends did a float above Some Bar that day and had really tough fishing- not sure that they caught anything? I fished my way up the Trinity to the Straw House. Light pressure for a Friday and I got some good swings in but no grabs or fish of any kind observed. The upper river may be a better bet momentarily as the recent pulse flow may have sucked the fish upriver? I came to realize that my waders were toast and was fishing and hiking with a few cups of unwanted water. Pizza night at the Straw House sucked me in and I called the day a little early and savored dry socks and underwear and a beer on the patio.

I would say the Klamath below the burn area is not completely unfishable. There was about a foot of visibility yesterday. Maybe? I would suggest a sink-tip and a flashy fly and fish in sunlight- kind of the opposite of the normal approach right now. And maybe conditions change day to day? Its a bummer.
    Church of Wild Steelhead!

Hey Matt, thanks for the update. Any chance you took some water temps? I'll probably "swing" by the Klamath anyway for a check as well. I have a handful of fly's that work pretty well on the K when the water is off and full of ash, as long as the temps are down. Otherwise, I will give those fish a rest and head further north. Usually we are praying for rain but most likely it will get worse when we start getting some up there.

No, sorry. Did not grab a water temp. Agree about the rain. In this case a dry fall will help more than hurt fishing conditions below Happy Camp…
    Church of Wild Steelhead!

Quote Originally Posted by itsbenlong View Post
    Hey Matt, thanks for the update. Any chance you took some water temps? I'll probably "swing" by the Klamath anyway for a check as well. I have a handful of fly's that work pretty well on the K when the water is off and full of ash, as long as the temps are down. Otherwise, I will give those fish a rest and head further north. Usually we are praying for rain but most likely it will get worse when we start getting some up there.
    USGS website for the past week showing temps at Orleans 66-64.

Well, maybe next year...
    Doubt it though.

The idea is to take down the dams starting next year. So if that happens and no more damn postponements it might be at minimum 2 years before the river will fish good again. I’m thinking 3-4 years. Then again rain will also dictated what happens.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"