Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salmon on the fly

Default Salmon on the fly

I live in the Sacramento Delta area and really want to catch a salmon on my fly rod this year. Can anyone share good techniques and fly patterns for fall run salmon on our river system. I will fish the American, Feather and Sacramento rivers.

Are you fly fishing from a boat?

On occasion while fly fishing for Stripers people will catch King salmon heading in from the ocean to the Valley rivers to spawn and die.

40 years ago the lower Feather river looked like Alaska with so many salmon that you tripped over them while wading for Steelhead.

50 years ago in the Fall people would come from all over with their travel trailers to spend a month fishing for salmon below Red Bluff

on the Sacramento river. An old timer told us to not come until September for salmon because in August there were still too many

Shad. This old timer stayed in a trailer park below Red Bluff and fly fished for salmon from an anchored boat.

Some years on the lower American river in the Fall we will get a run of King salmon in to spawn. I think it is Oct/Nov?

Andy Guibord is real good at wading for salmon in the America when we have some.

I will check with veteran guides Lincoln and Lance Gray to see how the salmon runs are on the Feather and Sacramento rivers.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Feather River, 8 weight rod with sinking line and a standard black coment size 4 or 6, watch your hook gap. Swing for them. Need to start now for fresh fish. By September and October they will be rotten. High Flow section at Kester Riffle. You can't fish for salmon above the Outlet.
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Wow......that is fantastic information......thanks Lance.

Lance and Lincoln Gray are like family for Marilyn and I.

They are twins and grew up in Chico, California. They guided for many years on the Feather and Sacramento rivers.

They also guided and fished Lake Almanor for a long time as well.

They know Northern California very well........

The earlier you can get these fall salmon and the furthest down river the fresher they can be.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I have a Kayak that I can fish from but I am thinking about wading for Salmon. Thanks for contacting Lance. That is some great information. Where is the Kester Riffle? Sounds like it is just below the thermalito afterbay outlet? Do you know? I will also message Lance.

Is the Kester Riffle below the Thermalito Afterbay? Not sure where that is. Thanks for the tips. I believe I met you once at a seminar at the Pleasanton fly fishing show fishing the Lake Almanor Hex hatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Wow......that is fantastic information......thanks Lance.

Lance and Lincoln Gray are like family for Marilyn and I.

They are twins and grew up in Chico, California. They guided for many years on the Feather and Sacramento rivers.

They also guided and fished Lake Almanor for a long time as well.

They know Northern California very well........

The earlier you can get these fall salmon and the furthest down river the fresher they can be.

Kirsten and I love you guys as well!! Always looking forward to our chats good or bad!!!
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204

Quote Originally Posted by timmosazz View Post
    Is the Kester Riffle below the Thermalito Afterbay? Not sure where that is. Thanks for the tips. I believe I met you once at a seminar at the Pleasanton fly fishing show fishing the Lake Almanor Hex hatch.

Yes, send me your email address and I will send you a map.
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204

I sent you a pm.

I've always had great success swinging up north, it's a drive. But on the Trinity, mid to lower river, as those salmon are moving up, they crush swung flies, especially if you target them. We get them as bi-catch when swinging for steelhead.

Feather would by my recommendation for being a close drive to try. Deep slower water is what id be fishing. Right now the fishing isn't great but never hurts to try.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer