Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Klamath trip

Default Klamath trip

Hey everyone, my good friends have some property in Weitchpec that we fish every fall and we’re wanting to do a 4 day float from Hoopa on the Trinity down to Johnson’s. Does anyone know of someone who can shuttle vehicles up there?

Thanks so much!
    Jason

If you can't find anyone and haven't already, call Pearson's Grocery in Weitchpec....they might be able to lead you in the right direction. (530) 625-4173

That could be a tough area to get a shuttle service unless you can talk one of the indian guides around Weitchpec....as you know it is all indian reservation from Hoopa down. It could be risky to leave a truck way down there for 4 days.

If you do find someone to shuttle - post it...would be a good number to have.
    Last edited by itsbenlong; 08-21-2022 at 06:06 PM.

There is usually a bunch of anglers camped on the gravel at Johnson's Bar.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

When are you going? I don’t know of any shuttles that low. Unless you know someone it could be a little dicey leaving your vehicle unattended for a bit. Word I got is right now the Klamath is pretty dirty due to the fire upriver. Might take a good rain to clean it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    There is usually a bunch of anglers camped on the gravel at Johnson's Bar.
    Those are good dudes.

Unfortunately, a good rain is just going to bring more ash and mud into the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Thomas View Post
    Unfortunately, a good rain is just going to bring more ash and mud into the system.
    Might be done for the season, time will tell. I’m supposed to be up there in 3 weeks, will definitely check with a guy who’s got real time info. Is what it is.
    Last edited by Bwag; 08-22-2022 at 06:37 AM.

Thanks everyone for the tips, I will let you know if we find a shuttle and we are really hoping there’s a chance the river will clear up before we go.

Regarding the water clarity, here is a recent (Aug 17) blurb from the weekly Kenny Priest North Coast report :

The Rivers:
    Lower Klamath
    The water color is finally starting to improve after last Monday’s blowout. It’s not quite green, but it’s improving slightly each day. There’s plenty of steelhead to be had from the Glen up and some fall kings are making their way into the lower river. Fishing should really improve over the next couple weeks. Fall regulations went into effect Monday, Aug. 15. The daily bag limit will be two Chinook, no more than one adult (longer than 23 inches) and the possession limit is six, no more than three adults.

Maybe a call to the store in Weitchpec could garner a quick answer on the color of the river. The store sits right on the river.

~Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff F; 08-22-2022 at 09:10 AM. Reason: typo

Great! Thank you so much for the report and I will definitely stay in touch with the store in witchapec.