Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Montana next weekend 8/28 advice

Default Montana next weekend 8/28 advice

My brother has the Motorhome and raft waiting for us in Missoula where we will have 3 days to fish and cover ground.

Original plan was Madison but hearing low warm water is no good, Missouri was number #2 in line but heard lots of weeds and mediocre fishing. Blackfoot can be an option and Beaverhead seems to be point A in our trip thus far.

Anyone out there or been out there recently that can shed some advice?

With the RV and raft on trailer we are 100% mobile and all ears for what would suite us best.

Thank you

The Clark's Fork below Alberton has a good number of cutthroat mixed in with rainbows lower. If you are a headhunter, this could be fun casting to rising fish. Look for the first boat launch after the canyon area. Pretty certain it is there for a take out. Not too many river rafters fish after the class 4 and 5 rapids. You could have that part of the river to yourselves. Contact the fly shops in Missoula for water temp, etc.
    Last edited by gitt; 08-18-2022 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spicytuna1 View Post
    My brother has the Motorhome and raft waiting for us in Missoula where we will have 3 days to fish and cover ground.

Original plan was Madison but hearing low warm water is no good, Missouri was number #2 in line but heard lots of weeds and mediocre fishing. Blackfoot can be an option and Beaverhead seems to be point A in our trip thus far.

Anyone out there or been out there recently that can shed some advice?

With the RV and raft on trailer we are 100% mobile and all ears for what would suite us best.

Thank you
    I fished the Beaverhead below Clark Canyon Dam on Monday and it was really slow. Water visibility was about 12 to 18 inches and flows about 520CFS. We managed to land one fish out of 4 hook ups in about 4 hours for 2 of us wade fishing down to Buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron B View Post
    I fished the Beaverhead below Clark Canyon Dam on Monday and it was really slow. Water visibility was about 12 to 18 inches and flows about 520CFS. We managed to land one fish out of 4 hook ups in about 4 hours for 2 of us wade fishing down to Buffalo.
    Just heard the same thing from a buddy in Dillon, did the lake turn over or what? Curious at to what's causing turbidity and how long will it last?

Thanks for chiming in.

Quote Originally Posted by gitt View Post
    The Clark's Fork below Alberton has a good number of cutthroat mixed in with rainbows lower. If you are a headhunter, this could be fun casting to rising fish. Look for the first boat launch after the canyon area. Pretty certain it is there for a take out. Not too many river rafters fish after the class 4 and 5 rapids. You could have that part of the river to yourselves. Contact the fly shops in Missoula for water temp, etc.
    Fly shop said water is too warm down there and to go back mid sept, I guess it was almost touching 70

Quote Originally Posted by Spicytuna1 View Post
    Fly shop said water is too warm down there and to go back mid sept, I guess it was almost touching 70
    I fished the Missouri, Henrys Fork and Madison last week. The Henry Forks was slow.

The hopper bite on the Madison was excellent. I fished the wade sections around Raynolds and 3 Dollar. Be sure to fish the shallow water and the banks even if someone just walked over it...there are some monster browns lurking.

The Missouri was weedy but decent. We fished with a guide from Headhunters and nymphed in the AM below Holter and threw hoppers after 11am. With hoppers, they fish the shallow weedy flats and turn the boat perpendicular to the current and cast straight downstream to present the fly first. I'd never fished like that but it worked well. I think we had close to 15 eats on hoppers.

Also, heard second hand from a guide in Ennis that the Beaverhead was void of fish. He thought the fish had moved into the spring creek in search of colder water.

Rock Creek is fishing well, and the West fork of the bitterrot is a tailwater and not on Hootowl
    Don Memmer

My wild guess for you would be West Fork of the Bitterroot. Just about everything else you are looking at is low and warm with exception to the Missouri which has apparently reached weed garden stage. The West Fork is a great fishery with cold water released from the bottom of Painted Rocks reservoir. Their is a motel-restaurant-rv park-airstrip on the way up where you could do your river camping. It is well situated to the lowest portion of the river.

Have fun.

I will be in Victor Idaho from the 27-1st and expect to fish 2nd, 3rd and 4th order tributaries of the major rivers. The water should be sub-65 on many of these streams. But it’s about a 5-6 hour hike from MSO.

Would you consider stillwaters? I am new to the area but I hear good things about Georgetown Lake. Three USFS campgrounds are on the lake. Good luck