Thread: Dean River, British Columbia report -1986 to 2022.

Default Dean River, British Columbia report -1986 to 2022.

In 1986 I was so fortunate to be able to go with great friends to the Dear River in BC for wild Summer Steelhead.

Joe Shirshac had been going to the Dean in August for quite a while and in 1986 we got to join him.

We drove from Sacramento to Williams Lake, BC where we flew in 2 small planes over to the gravel runway on the lower Dean.

Soon a helicopter arrived from Bella Coola and took up up river to "17 mile" in three loads to camp and fish for two weeks.

Our group was lead by Joe Shirshac and Mac Holloway who had been in the US Navy in World War II.

The rest were Jack Sturdivant, Chris Pasley and Myself who were the new guys and much younger too.

We spent the entire first day building a nice big camp with overhead tarps and a big fire pit.

Our fishing licenses started the next day and after breakfast we started fishing.

Chris and I were the youngsters so we either went way upstream or way downs stream and left the camp water to the old timers.

We fished for the next two weeks using sink-tips the first week and then floating lines the second.

In the smaller shallower water up at 17 mile with nice boulders we evolved to fishing most big dry flies, Royal Wulffs.

It was much like fly fishing a big trout stream where Steelhead would rise slowly to a dead drifted dry fly.

The Dean river fish are supposed to be some of the strongest fighter because they have to go up a riffle/water fall to get up there.

This was one of the most emotional trips of my lifetime, to be able fish this famous river with special friends.

I never went back and at times I'm glad because going back would never be as special to me as that first trip.

Chris Pasley, past Kiene's employee, AK guide, fisheries biologist and hatchery manage in WA state has been back 4 more times.

I was just texting with him and he said he just recently return from the Dean.

They go in with a helicopter from Bella Coola to the top of the river, 27 miles, and float and camp down to the bottom.

Fish over 20 pounds were common, even on dead drifted dry flies but he said now the average was smaller, but still unreal.

Our own Jeff Putnam has made this iconic trip a few times too where they get dropped in by helicopter and float and camp.

Chris and friend would use a 12' Cataraft? and Jeff and friend uses Outcast PAC 1000s.

When I watch the movies, "A River Runs Through It" or "Rivers of a Lost Coast" I always think back to our trip to the wild remote

Dean river, 36 years ago or my brother Dick and I fishing on the amazing Pit River at Deep Creek Camp 50 years ago.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I just got back from a trip to the BC interior and met a man who has a boat about a mile from the mouth of the Dean. The stories- WOW!
    Last edited by Mr T; 08-18-2022 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    I just got back from a trip to the BC interior and met a man who has a boat about a mile from the mouth of the Dean. The stories- WWO!
    That is cool Mr T....

lots of great history up there.

In 1986 when we flew from Williams Lake to the lower Dean river's gravel airstrip it was with Gideon's Air Service.

People that flew with old Gideon swore that he napped during part of the flights? I few with him back then.

Here is a great article about Gideon and his family, involved in their flying for 49 years.

https://www.wltribune.com/community/...-for-49-years/

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

In addition to the fishing, you'd be hard pressed to experience a cooler jet boat experience than Dean river guides navigating rapids in the classic dean style boats. Backing down a boulder garden for the first time is a complete trip.

One of the best trip reports on the Dean is at www.oneillfamilyfishing.com

They helicoptered in and floated Watermaster 1 person rafts in 2015 with April Volkey.
    Last edited by JayDubP; 08-19-2022 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JayDubP View Post
    One of the best trip reports on the Dean is at www.oneillfamilyfishing.com

They helicoptered in and floated Watermaster 1 person rafts in 2015 with April Volkey.
    Wow, JDP,

Looking at the wonderful photos from all those trips would keep you busy for a long time.

https://www.oneillfamilyfishing.com/...an-River-2015/
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    In addition to the fishing, you'd be hard pressed to experience a cooler jet boat experience than Dean river guides navigating rapids in the classic dean style boats. Backing down a boulder garden for the first time is a complete trip.
    Most definitely Aaron, amazing what those guides can get through! The chopper ride in with Pierre was quite the ride as well, he skimmed the top of a mountain for awhile and then just nose dives off the backsides vertical drop, butt pucker moment! That river is such a magical place!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post
    Most definitely Aaron, amazing what those guides can get through! The chopper ride in with Pierre was quite the ride as well, he skimmed the top of a mountain for awhile and then just nose dives off the backsides vertical drop, butt pucker moment! That river is such a magical place!!
    When he asks if you want the fun or the mellow flight, always choose the fun one

After our two week camping trip in one spot, "17 mile", the helicopter was supposed to come get us around noon.

At 11:45am we heard the engine coming up the river.......the flight in and out was magic.

The lower Dean river, I guess in August, would have to be on everyone's Bucket List.

Every time we stopped fishing and looked up we would stop and take move pictures of the mountains.

40 years ago the lower part of the lower Dean river, below the Rapids, was considered kind of "second class" fly fishing water

compared to the smaller water above the Rapids but after the Spey/Two-handed explosion on the West Coast of America, the lower

river is now very prized by the long rod guys. They might start fishing the lower part below the Rapids in June now?

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958