Thread: Kirman Lake

Default Kirman Lake

Anyone been to Kirman Lake past couple years? My understanding is that DFG started stocking brookies and cutts again around 2019. If so, that lake will have grown some nice fish by now. Planning to hike in a float tube.

If we head up there this weekend I also plan to hike up to Emma Lake one morning.

Cheers, John

I road a mountain bike with float tube about 10 years ago. On Labor Day. Had the lake to myself and caught some nice size brooks.
    Haven’t been back since.

Poor lake that is just up the highway 108, Use to have some nice brookies also.
    Have fun where ever you go!

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty Fish View Post
    I road a mountain bike with float tube about 10 years ago. On Labor Day. Had the lake to myself and caught some nice size brooks.
    Haven’t been back since.

Poor lake that is just up the highway 108, Use to have some nice brookies also.
    Have fun where ever you go!
    The mountain bike ride out is awesome if you have full suspension. I think I made it back in about 10 minutes. I've got a time lapse somewhere of the run, I'll post it if I can find it.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

The ride back was easy for me. Full suspension Santa Cruz MTB.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Anyone been to Kirman Lake past couple years? My understanding is that DFG started stocking brookies and cutts again around 2019. If so, that lake will have grown some nice fish by now. Planning to hike in a float tube.

If we head up there this weekend I also plan to hike up to Emma Lake one morning.

Cheers, John

About ~20 years ago when Kirman lake was more popular Andy Guibord at Kiene's Fly Shop use to fish it some.

He told me he would go in there extremely early and the fishing was very good.

After the sun got on the water he would leave and go somewhere else near there.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post

Cheers, John
    If you have cloud cover you might do well. Scuds are the primary food source. Under bright skies they head for the weeds or to the bottom. When even a single cloud obscures the sun the scuds school up and the fish feed. IMHO DFW went crazy over-stocking the lake. Back in the day, there weren't nearly as many fish and most grew to trophy size in a couple of years. Today, due to an overpopulation of planted fish, the fishery has been reduced to nothing out of the normal.
    Last edited by Ralph; 08-18-2022 at 06:06 AM.