A friend and I launched his boat in Miner Slough at 11:30 Sunday for our first exploration on the Sacramento side of the Delta. In the first hour throwing Umpqua Swimming Frogs, I caught a Largemouth, a Smallmouth, and 2 Spots, LDR'd another, and missed a strike. My friend LDR'd one that threw the fly while airborne. By sunset, we had each landed about a dozen, including a double, farmed as many more, and had more than 50 strikes each. Most were Smallmouth that fought like hell, and the biggest were around 16 inches. A lot of the misses were 6 inch Smallies trying to eat a frog half their size. Lots of juvenile SMB in Miner Slough.

We did pick up a few subsurface, but we threw frogs probably 70% of the day. Most of the mid day action was in or near the shade of trees overhanging the water. Water Temps ranged from 73-76.

A couple of curious raccoons watched our efforts for a few minutes as well.

We'll definitely spend more time over there in the future.

Murphy's Law did strike in a conversation with a guy doing a little trolling while scouting places to duck hunt, who told us his dad was down by Frank's Tract catching a bunch of Stripers. The grass always seems greener somewhere else...