Hey folks,
I went out today to focus on warm water fishing, on Lake Natoma. I was in a "pocket" on Lake Natoma, with the intention of a bass or carp. I went to a crawdad with only xsmall bead chain eyes, maybe size 6/8? Hook 3x long, 7wt Lamiglass rod given to me by a good friend a few years ago. Sinking line with 30lb mono.

I spotted this bright shiny carp amongst a pod of 10-15 sunbathing at the surface. I've cast into these situations before and no matter what the pod would freak out when the fly hits the water. I made my cast and landed about 16 inches to the side of the shiny fella... A breeze was going, pushing my boat to the bank full of branches so I turned my head to check the drift, while stripping like 6" tugs. Suddenly I locked into a solid object that denied me raising my rod for a check up on what I had just tangle up in....
Suddenly the rod was bouncing so I instantly went tight for a hookset that just stopped the rod.

A gold flash 20' away and hanging at the bottom... I got this feeling I had connected with the target. Before I could even net the fish I just laughed at the possibility of landing the only fish I set my eye on all day. Four runs with my Lamson reel, 80% drag. Pulling my boat across the pocket. By far the heaviest fish I've ever netted by myself. I love this 7wt for it's durability and light weight feel. I didn't bring the carp into my boat as the size was just too much. My best was stretching thin at the hoop, I estimate 7+lbs. I wanted to target this carp because it looked so sharp and colorful amongst the group. Are there multiple species in Lake Natoma or is this a .... Phase, a carp goes through? The fight was great and a flash back to my high school days where I went out at midnight during the week back home in Pennsylvania and toss dough balls for carp at the Point in Pittsburgh. This is by far the cleanest looking carp I've ever held, and my first on the fly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220813_180021902.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	3.10 MB 
ID:	18272