Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My New "Fly"

Default Bass Bugs....

I like the smaller (finesse) version suggested by MThompson. For tying future surface bugs, I suggest tying some with the hook point up (over the back). That way you could apply some clear or white epoxy or UV material to the flat underside, add a strip of lead and cover with the remaining epoxy/UV material (similar to how the Mat Rat is tied). The Mat Rat always lands right side up....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I did some hook up versions and a trailing hook version a few years ago. I think when I leave too much bulk on top they roll over. I like the bulk because you get more buoyancy and move more water. Sometimes I shave them down if I use them and they are too big. If the nose is too blunt they won’t dive. Lots of potential problems. I ordered a couple of hook up mat rat type flies from Delta Bass Bugs. I will try those out.

While looking for the mat rat I found a John Sherman article about gear vs fly and what you can do to get closer to the gear catch rate. He seems to want to surface fish and is not interested in jigging a worm.

https://www.flyfisherman.com/editori...anglers/454061
    Last edited by John H; 08-14-2022 at 11:09 AM.

Default Mat Rats....

One caution, KD (Kevin Dorn) Mat Rats were designed to fish on top of weedy mats in the Delta. Without a lot of waterproofing, they'll get soggy.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown