Thread: The Delta Boating Experience

Default The Delta Boating Experience

I bought a boat last year. I had not owned a boat before so there were some things to figure out. I had it in the garage for a while then got a slip at a marina in the Delta so I could fish bass in the summer and stripers in the fall. It went pretty well other than the fishing was not that good for me. I got a call from the marina last week and they wanted to know why I had moved my boat to another slip. They also told me I would have to pay more for that slip if I wanted to stay it. I said, “huh? I did not move my boat. What are you guys talking about?”. Turns out a nighttime thief got in it. He tried to get it started with a key which broke off in the ignition so he cruised around the marina on the trolling motor looking for another boat to steal. When he found one he liked he parked mine in an empty slip and stole the other one using a-hide-key he found on the other boat.

I replaced my ignition which cost $60 and got a cable from the harbor master to lock the boat to the dock. No other damage to the boat so I feel like I got off easy. The harbor master apologized for the theft and I told him no problem, it is all part of the Delta boating experience. I can laugh this one off because there was not much damage but if they had ripped out my sonar unit or done some other damage that put the boat in the shop for a pricey repair I would have been upset. Be careful where you park you boat.

Seems like crime is always on the rise?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

That's a bummer John.
    When Dan got his boat stolen right out of his slip at Sugar Barge the thieves took just about everything and it cost him a bundle to get it all put back together. He gave up his slip that he had for years and now launches his boat daily at the ramp and parks his boat next to his trailer at night.

Cables are only a minor inconvenience if thieves have bolt cutters.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180